Author Topic: SuperDuper not being super duper (OSX restore working while OS9 not)  (Read 3082 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi there, so I got this great program (it really us super duper!) for backing up several partitions of my SSD drive.   Recent developments made me decide it was a good idea (and finally listening to FdB) to buy and use SuperDuper to back up my OS9 and Leopard partitions for a quicksilver..   

However after doing those imagines, I ran into some hardware trouble that made me decide to try reverting back to a good state and see if said hardware issues (an audio firewire device not liking my quicksilver) just to do everything i can to rule out why this FW400 device would work fine under Leopard on a 12" powerbook and Digital Performer 5.. but crap out with my Quicksilver.. 

Doing so I was able to easily restore the images to the partitions.. however when holding command down.. only the OSX partition appears as bootable.  from what i can tell, all of the files are there..  i made two different OS9 image backups and both seem to behave the same. 

I did check with the software creator and he said it should work, but did have to say that he has no OS9 software/hardware to test with. 

Things left to try:

1. I have some SSD 80gb drives I will attempt to restore too

2. I have some HDD drives I will test with as well.. 

but just wondered if maybe when i restored maybe some bad voodoo in there in the restore..   maybe because I made the partitions in OSX and .. OS9 for whatever reason doesn't isn't seen by the computer using the option button as a viable partition to boot from and that's weird.. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:46:28 PM by part12studios »

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
... but just wondered if maybe when i restored maybe some bad voodoo in there in the restore..   maybe because I made the partitions in OSX and .. OS9 for whatever reason doesn't isn't seen by the computer using the option button as a viable partition to boot from and that's weird..

Was the disk you are restoring to formatted to install/include the OS 9 drivers ?

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
well a few things to factor in..   

1. i put the OS9 restore partition back to the same partition it was backed up from.

2. In my mind I imagined that a given partition doesn't matter much before i restore too it since it's just overwritting everything in that partition.

I've fully backed up all three partitions on my SSD so i'm happy to completely reformat the disk.  I was just thinking that i should be able to restore any partition back to it's previous state without any formatting of the disk itself. 

Is it a better practice to in fact use an OS9 or OSX install disk and use disk utility to format the drives fresh and then restore to them? 

NOTE:  I'm using an modern OSX system with Super Duper and one of those SATA drive readers where you top load a SSD into it to read/write.  I'm on Mojave now which I'm not sure still has Journaled options, but if it does I could use that utility tool still i would imagine?   I know that my work iMac with Catalina has only the new apple format as an option. 

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
This might doesn't help you, but If I remember right I did this when I copy whole disk with OS9 and OSX to bigger disk:
- I connected my Mac to another Mac with firewire-cable.
- Start up with T-button down, so another Mac see my computer as harddrive.
- With Disk Utility I made image from whole disk (not just partition).
- I Change new harddrive.
- Write back that image.
- After that I resize partition with iPartition (actually I even add one partition, that I can have OS9 and two OSX versions)

Some versions of Disk Utility has size limits to do that, If I remember right OS X 10.3 has 32 GB limit to image, but at least OS X 10.5 80 GB image worked.
I just wondering has anybody try Disk Copy for OS9 to do that, is there size limits?

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
ok that's cool, I've never tried that before.  It may be too late though as I have already overwrote the original good OS9 installation, but if it comes to having to do a reinstall, next time I'll try that. 

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
unfortunately the smart restore didn't give a different result.  i have a 2nd SSD i'm using as a test SSD.. my main (original) one has a fresh reinstall and i'm just going to rebuild it. 

one nice thing about OS9 reinstall is considerably faster and easier to get back to normal vs OSX which has many many updates / patches / generally more of everything to install..   having Leopard in a restorable image is by far the greatest value from SuperDuper!  So I'm still happy.

Now to reinstall a few drivers and see if i can get my 2408mk2 working properly again.  I got the profire 2626 working well in Leopard this time figuring out a settings issue (have to set the devices driver internal settings to 192khz, not just from Digital Performer 5.13.