Author Topic: DP3, how does this work ?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline mfny

• Valued Member
DP3, how does this work ?
« on: May 18, 2020, 03:29:32 PM »
So coming from being a DP10 user I have no idea how old as hell DP works it seems.

I have DP3 and Absynth(a separate application running) installed and am trying to pipe the audio and midi appropriately so I can record MIDI input from an attached keyboard via a MIDISPORT 2x2 into DP3 and play that to Absynth and have the audio output from Absynth be routed into a track for recording in DP3.

I have zero clue how any of this is ment to work on DP3 as there is not even an Instrument Track ?

I have read that there is a MAS plugin version of Absynth some place ? maybe thats what I should be using ?

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: DP3, how does this work ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:24:00 AM »
im pretty sure DP didnt support anything besides MAS until the first OSX versions, but I could be wrong.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline mfny

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:26 AM »
im pretty sure DP didnt support anything besides MAS until the first OSX versions, but I could be wrong.

You seem to be correct, so what do I do re: virtual instruments in DP3 then ? or is DP3 just not designed for that workflow at all ?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:21:12 AM »
Digital Performer 3 is damn slow in Mac os 9.
VST instruments can be used through the VST Wrapper plug-in by Audio Ease and also through the Pluggo shell:

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.2000-06-27.9364546494

But some important plugins and instruments don't work. And you will be increasing the system complexity and instability.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mfny

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
Digital Performer 3 is damn slow in Mac os 9.
VST instruments can be used through the VST Wrapper plug-in by Audio Ease and also through the Pluggo shell:

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.2000-06-27.9364546494

But some important plugins and instruments don't work. And you will be increasing the system complexity and instability.

My system is a Power Mac 7600 w/ 300mhz G3 card and 288MB ram(fully interleaved) and a IDE to SD card adaptor that maxes out IDE transfers no problem on the Sonnet Tempo UltraIDE ATA66. So in the historical context it should be ok as its pretty high end for the time frame ?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
"high end" is a matter of definition.

absynth came out at the time of G3 processors, but it is not like you could generate 32 voices with it, more like 1-2. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
My system is a Power Mac 7600 w/ 300mhz G3 card and 288MB ram(fully interleaved) and a IDE to SD card adaptor that maxes out IDE transfers no problem on the Sonnet Tempo UltraIDE ATA66. So in the historical context it should be ok as its pretty high end for the time frame ?
I have tested it with some of my G4 Macs with nVidia ti4600, SSDs connected to a Seriteck 64 bits, 1.5 Gb of RAM and CPUs speeds from 1.5 Ghz onwards.  8)
And even I like its great interface I think it is too slow to be used.
OK it is just my opinion.  ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mfny

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
I have tested it with some of my G4 Macs with nVidia ti4600, SSDs connected to a Seriteck 64 bits, 1.5 Gb of RAM and CPUs speeds from 1.5 Ghz onwards.  8)
And even I like its great interface I think it is too slow to be used.
OK it is just my opinion.  ;D

Anyway as much as id like to stick with DP3 I feel Cubase would be a better fit for doing things with VI's on this old setup/system.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »
Test 2.x that seems more suited to OS9 and a G3
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4