Author Topic: Loss of video during Os9.2.2 boot up on AGP G4 (digital sound)  (Read 2597 times)

Offline jude

Hi Folks,

I have created 2 partitions on a 120GB IDE HD and cloned a Dual boot Tiger/OS92.2 iBook G3 hard drive to the FIRST partition and installed the Os9.2.2 drag and drop folders (from here) to the SECOND partition. While in Tiger I deleted the 9.2.2 off the first Tiger/Os9.2.2 dual boot partition to avoid problems and used Startup Drive in Tiger to select the second partition with the copy of Os9.2.2. It boots up ok with the left shift key and I disabled all the recommended extensions including NVIDIA graphics (I have ATI).

However if I shutdown and try to boot natively into Os9 off the second partition (even with left shift pressed) the video glitches during the boot just after the mac computer icon appears - the screen goes black.

Would anyone be able to suggest a possible solution for this? Is it the CPU detect issue? I don't know the code for this.

thanks

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: Loss of video during Os9.2.2 boot up on AGP G4 (digital sound)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:23:23 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have created 2 partitions on a 120GB IDE HD and cloned a Dual boot Tiger/OS92.2 iBook G3 hard drive to the FIRST partition and installed the Os9.2.2 drag and drop folders (from here) to the SECOND partition. While in Tiger I deleted the 9.2.2 off the first Tiger/Os9.2.2 dual boot partition to avoid problems and used Startup Drive in Tiger to select the second partition with the copy of Os9.2.2. It boots up ok with the left shift key and I disabled all the recommended extensions including NVIDIA graphics (I have ATI).

However if I shutdown and try to boot natively into Os9 off the second partition (even with left shift pressed) the video glitches during the boot just after the mac computer icon appears - the screen goes black.

Would anyone be able to suggest a possible solution for this? Is it the CPU detect issue? I don't know the code for this.

thanks

What video card do you have?

Offline jude

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
It's an ATI Rage 128 Pro (standard issue for Apple Power Macintosh G4 466 Digital Audio). Definitely seems to be be a video issue. Thanks

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:24:29 AM »
You may try to remove the ATI ROM XTender extension and see if that fixes the issue.

Offline jude

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »
I could not see the ATI ROM XTender extension listed in Extension manager. I deselected the 3D drivers for two other ATI graphics card (not installed) and tried to reboot, even if I hold down the left shift key there is the same problem.

The only way I can get Os9 to boot is to select the Os9 partition drive from Start Up Disk in Tiger System Preferences installed on the first partition.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »
An OEM card may use the ATI Driver Update extension, so they and disable that and see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:06:59 AM by darthnVader »

Offline jude

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 11:47:53 PM »
I disabled the ATI Driver Update extension, it now boots into Os9 however at the final step when it launches the desktop the screen goes black. It has done this before as well.

I tried resetting the PRAM and then it try's to boot into Tiger on the first partition but stalls at a white circle and bar. I re-started and using option to select the second Os9 partition and it booted up fine.

However when I tried to put the G4 to sleep it comes up with this message "Your computer cant sleep as some system software is missing. Reinstall the software that came with you computer".

The other odd thing is the desktop shows some driver files I copied onto the desktop of the dual boot Os9 (/Tiger) in the first partition even though I have booted into Os9 installed on the second partition.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 02:57:18 AM »
I disabled the ATI Driver Update extension, it now boots into Os9 however at the final step when it launches the desktop the screen goes black. It has done this before as well.

I tried resetting the PRAM and then it try's to boot into Tiger on the first partition but stalls at a white circle and bar. I re-started and using option to select the second Os9 partition and it booted up fine.

However when I tried to put the G4 to sleep it comes up with this message "Your computer cant sleep as some system software is missing. Reinstall the software that came with you computer".

The other odd thing is the desktop shows some driver files I copied onto the desktop of the dual boot Os9 (/Tiger) in the first partition even though I have booted into Os9 installed on the second partition.

The desktop folder is a special folder in the Mac OS, all items on any disk it this folder will show up on the desktop.

You are having some issue with the 'NDRV' for your Rage128, I suspect an issue with you monitor not syncing in OS 9.

OS 9 must be reporting a screen resolution/refresh rate that your monitor doesn't support.

What display are you using and what is the native resolution and refresh rate?

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 12:03:39 PM »
>The only way I can get Os9 to boot is to select the Os9 partition drive from Start Up Disk in Tiger System Preferences installed on the first partition.

I experience similar on an MDD. The choices in Startup Disk Preference Pane (OS X), Startup Disk Control Panel (OS 9), and Startup Manager (Option Key after chime) are not the same.

And to make it more complicated, some choices do NOT actually boot.

If someone has figured this out, please DO report.

Offline jude

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »
Yes now that it boots the resolution has dropped to SXGA i think. I am using a VGA cable, I am wondering if there is a way to support the Asus LCD in Os9 however it is a 2011 TFT LCD. I also have an old VGA LCD that is a closer match in terms of vintage to the G4 I can use.

ASUS LCD specs are as follows:

SPECIFICATION
LCD Panel
TFT Color LCD
18.5” W ( cm)
0.3mm(H)x 0.3mm(V)

250cd/m2 (Typical)
12000000:1 Max (ACM) 170o(H)160o(V)(CR=10)/176o(H)176o(V)(CR=5)
5 ms (Typical)

R,G,B Analog Interface
30‐80KHz
55‐75Hz
Display Colors
16.7M Colors
Dot Clock
140MHz
Max. Resolution
1366x768@60Hz
Plug & Play
VESA DDCCI/DDC2B 11.94W(typ.)