Author Topic: Mac OS 9.2.2 on a Lombard G3 with a compact flash to IDE adapter  (Read 1679 times)

Offline VinceG3

• Newcomer
Hello,

I have a Lombard G3, 400Mhz that I attempted to swap out the HDD for a IDE to CF adapter with a 16GB CF card. I was able to initialize the drive and install OS 9 from the DVD drive just fine, but in boot it doesn't recognize the drive. I have selected it as the start up disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline Nymunariya

• Valued Member
  • mSATA ALL THE MACS!
    • nymunariya.org
Re: Mac OS 9.2.2 on a Lombard G3 with a compact flash to IDE adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:06:01 AM »
I've been meaning to put my msata adapter in my Lombard. Eventually I'll get around to it.

I do know that my clamshell has some trouble booting to the mSATA when the PRAM is reset. It'll flash the questionmark for a while, but eventually it'll calm down and find and read from the mSATA.

Here are some things I would try in order:
  • reset the PRAM and see what happens
  • boot holding down option to see if the drive is recognised at all.  If so, select it, boot, and chose that drive as the startup drive
  • with an OS X cd and a terminal, you can "rebless" the Mac OS 9 folder--I don't know how to do that from OS 9
  • check the jumpers on the adapter, and make sure it's on the same setting (slave/master/driveselect) as the previous harddrive
  • reformat the drive from OS X making sure that "Install Mac OS 9 drivers" is checked
Mid-2011 11" MacBook Air | iBook G3 Clamshell | PowerMac G4 MDD | G4 MacMini | PowerBook G3 Pismo | PowerMac 7600 | PowerBook G3 Lombard

Mac OS 7.6, 8.6, 9.2, 10.2, 10.4, 10.13

Offline VinceG3

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
Hello, Thanks for the help.

Was able to get it to boot, takes a like a minute before it shows the question mark then loads into OS9.

Chalk it up to age I guess.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
It might depend on the card. I've got my Lombard on a CF card and it boots very quickly.