Author Topic: Macos9.2.2 (from OS9L Image), G4 Tower 500mhz/768mb - problems running 68k apps  (Read 1554 times)

Offline econguy101a

• Newcomer
Hello,

This might be a tremendously ignorant question.

I'm running 9.2.2 (The universal image downloaded from this forum) on my 500mhz G4 tower, most things are fine, no stability issues or crashes (other than explicitly mentioned in this post), etc.
Graphics card is AGP Radeon 9000 Pro, drivers installed off the official ATI install CD

Many apps seem to be working fine. However when I try to run some older software (for example, clarisworks, some old games, an older version of stuffit, etc) from the 68k era - the executable shows up in the finder with the blank generic file icon (rather than its internal resource icon), and doesn't seem to be recognized as an executable file. Double clicking brings up the dialog box to ask me for an application to open the file with, rather than executing it.

It's been a bit tedious to transfer the files, but I've verified the files run and are valid executables on an LC III running System 7.

Am I running into a known compatibility limitation with OS9 on the G4 not supporting 68k applications, or might something else be going on? There doesn't seem to be any chatter about this that I could find on the web.

Offline Nymunariya

• Valued Member
  • mSATA ALL THE MACS!
    • nymunariya.org
have you tried rebuilding the desktop file?

Mac Repository has a decent guide on the topic: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/articles/9-rebuilding-the-desktop
Mid-2011 11" MacBook Air | iBook G3 Clamshell | PowerMac G4 MDD | G4 MacMini | PowerBook G3 Pismo | PowerMac 7600 | PowerBook G3 Lombard

Mac OS 7.6, 8.6, 9.2, 10.2, 10.4, 10.13