Author Topic: Super Slick m.2 Sata Setup for G4  (Read 11642 times)

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: Super Slick m.2 Sata Setup for G4
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 05:16:11 AM »

The easiest magic wand is called 3124, the MacOS 9 driver is scheduled and won't be a big challenge.

At this time want to finish the 680-3112-3114 driver.
Do not expect big wizardy regarding that project, 680-3112-3114 is not a very fast chip, but reliable enough and the new code base can be re-used for many more things.

Eagerly awaiting this; the random 3124 I got off ebay is ready and willing!
It does not have the "standard" chip though, but the outlet is socketed. Will I need to swap it out for another chip?
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline XinSheng

• Valued Member
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
That means, if I would make a "9" driver or pre-Leopard driver for NVMe I would need to restrict every transfer to 128K or even lower - and after that I would need to double-buffer everything into a physically contingous well-aligned internal buffer. That would slow down the entire transfer and any advantage of NVMe would disappear.

That's exactly what I thought ! ...... NOT, lol.

It's like you walk around thinking your all that and then SATAman, obviously a member of the remaining Annunaki, spouts out all this secret divine knowledge. My God, man, I always read your posts at least 3 times.  Light bulbs going off... BAM

Under Leopard a non-bootable NVMe drive in a 2005 G5 with PCIe slots can achieve over 700 MB/Sec on reads and writes.
OK, that is just plain sick, I paid a kings ransom for my Mercury Accelsior (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDPHW2R960/) about 4 years ago for my main Mac Pro and thought that at about 800MB/sec, nothing was even close, and you are saying in a 2005 G5... 700 MB/Sec, what sorcery is this ?  I appreciate all the cool information you have posted !

Lastly, for those on a budget, even though we have highlighted many storage technologies here, I was wondering if you can give us the "Sataman" guidelines of what you consider the two best bang for the bucks as far as a bootable OS 9 SSD solutions... one using the native PATA, and one as using a PCI card.

Looks like it is his version of the underpants gnomes profit plan. Or a collorary to the Arthur C. Clark rule. Any sufficiently advanced task to the observer is indistinguishable from magic. Which makes (S)ATAman a wizard or an Other. I really wish there were some primers or books or something to read up on so that I could start to mess around with this stuff. Probably be months or years before I could do anything more than a hello world type project. I should probably get a computer desk again, first though!  ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »
no magic, PCIe 1.1. has a bandwidth of 8Gbit/s
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline XinSheng

• Valued Member
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
no magic, PCIe 1.1. has a bandwidth of 8Gbit/s

Once you know, of course it is no longer magic. I had some "colleagues" ask me about some error message they were always getting, and if I knew what it meant. Yes, sure. It means that your running tally is no longer a double. It's not really hurting anything so don't worry about it, just muddle through it. <Blank stares> Your "container" is too small. You'll just have to keep restarting things until it finishes. <Blank stares> Your library got too large and your tool is old and wasn't particularly well coded across multiple disciplines, and doesn't have exception handling. It's what happens when something homebrew is made by a "hobbyist" and then you use it for office work, and that guy leaves and no one left has the basic skillset to update/fix it.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »

The easiest magic wand is called 3124, the MacOS 9 driver is scheduled and won't be a big challenge.

Do not expect big wizardy regarding that project, 680-3112-3114 is not a very fast chip, but reliable enough and the new code base can be re-used for many more things.

It does not have the "standard" chip though, but the outlet is socketed. Will I need to swap it out for another chip?

Is it made by Dawicontrol? I do have one of their 3124 controllers.
The new "X" code for 3124 is there, if anyone wants to try it out, feel free to ask.

Currently stuck with 680-3112-3114 in Intel, I think that my PCI-PCIe bridge (the cheap one, made in China)  controller is an other junk.
Looked up the Amazon, nothing, but bad reviews. The Startech (made in Taiwan) got good reviews.

The Chinese adapter is great to test the faulty I/O path and time-outs though.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »

The new "X" code for 3124 is there, if anyone wants to try it out, feel free to ask.

Its an actual SiliconImage card. This one, except mine has a bracket:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WlEAAOSwN-VckAxV/s-l1600.jpg

The machine I plan on using this in is strictly 9 for the time being, so I'm patient to wait and happy to be a guinea pig for any os9 testing.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »

Its an actual SiliconImage card. This one, except mine has a bracket:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WlEAAOSwN-VckAxV/s-l1600.jpg

The machine I plan on using this in is strictly 9 for the time being, so I'm patient to wait and happy to be a guinea pig for any os9 testing.

I do have that model as well, this will be the next thing after the 680-3112-3114.
Much better fun, I think, too. But the "9" driver for it is not started yet.

I (kind of) updated the "X" driver for it already as well as the OpenFirmware, but after 680-3112-3114 finishes will need to make minor changes there.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2020, 08:27:11 PM »
im very confused then. that's a 3124 card. you've been talking about 3124 cards. but its not a 3124 card?

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2020, 02:05:54 AM »

Currently stuck with 680-3112-3114 in Intel, I think that my PCI-PCIe bridge (the cheap one, made in China)  controller is an other junk.
Looked up the Amazon, nothing, but bad reviews. The Startech (made in Taiwan) got good reviews.

As i already told I have the PCI-e version of the 3124 in my G5 so I could try your driver. I'm sure you already answered it on another thread but let me just ask you again please.
What is the advantage of your driver to the stock one in my case?

-Bootability (dont know right now if the stock ones already deliver that) ?
-Speed ?

Cheers
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 07:51:00 AM »

As i already told I have the PCI-e version of the 3124 in my G5 so I could try your driver. I'm sure you already answered it on another thread but let me just ask you again please.
What is the advantage of your driver to the stock one in my case?

-Bootability (dont know right now if the stock ones already deliver that) ?
-Speed ?

Cheers

Th bootability is there, the speed advantage as well.
It is more robust than the old - but I think, the best would be just to try out the driver, without flashing the chip first.

I do have one PCIe-based card as well.
If you are not in hurry, maybe wait. A "beta" driver was posted few months ago, you can install it.
For the future I plan to maintain all drivers actively.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
im very confused then. that's a 3124 card. you've been talking about 3124 cards. but its not a 3124 card?

There are different builds of 3124 cards.
- A quite popular build is with a PCIe bridge, it can be used on all new machines with PCIe slot. Not the best idea for really new ones and Thunderbolt, but it works.
- There is a PCI (not PCI-X!) version, which is castration and a bad configuration in addition to that.
- There are few versions based on the reference design
- There is a Dawicontrol-made PCI-X card with a long EEPROM, not the square one. It is removable, but looks a bit unusual.

The PCI version is not to my liking, it is really a silly solution (a PCI-X ASIC with castrated bus).
Other than that, the rest is quite similar. The DAWICONTROL had Win-10 drivers, so it makes sense to support it.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »

there is a lot of funny stuff out there which i have never seen before. :D

Only put that M2 to USB3 adapter in SATA adapter and we can skip USB 2 with OS9 :D

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »

Only put that M2 to USB3 adapter in SATA adapter and we can skip USB 2 with OS9 :D

:o I think my head just exploded! :o
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »

could be the perfect solution for those who always wanted to try what happens when you "convert" from USB3 to firewire. at least you dont break your motherboard this way. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »
The last node on the TDM cable should be attached leaving empty connectors free in the middle. . . ! :-)

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »
wow thats some nice hardware - i bet the performance is amazing