Author Topic: HD 1080p Video Editing in Mac Os 9. How To guide.  (Read 4263 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
HD 1080p Video Editing in Mac Os 9. How To guide.
« on: May 05, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
The first thing we need to High Definition 1080p video editing in Mac Os 9, is configure the recording app in the phone to use the de video codec MPEG-4 SP (Simple Profile) instead of the Mac Os 9 unssuported H264 ( aka MPEG-AVC). If the phone camera app don't have this capability we can use the free custom camera app form Cyamogen, or other Google PlayStore Camera app like the Cinema FV-5.

Once we have the footage, it must be transfered to the Mac. One easy and fast way is to use a FTP server included in the phone. If your cellular don't have this capability you can download one from the Google PlayStore.

Once the footage is on the Mac, it is convenient to re-encode it to M-JPEG in a MOV container to be edited in Adobe Premiere.

Once the edition is completed and rendered, the timeline must be exported as a movie file.

This Movie file must be re-encoded using QuickTime Player inside a .mov (or mp4) container, using the Apple MPEG-4 vídeo codec or even better the 3ivx .

The next step is transfer the video file to the cellular phone using again the FTP method, and upload it to YouTube from here.

As is too late around here, tomorrow I'll post the final video.

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: HD 1080p Video Editing in Mac Os 9. How To guide.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
Here it is the final video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAgvJdb8fY[/youtube]

I know that there is plenty room for better quality footage and improved compression quality, but I only pretend to show basics procedures.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:19:58 AM by MacTron »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
Good work! Cableless (wireless) ingest of files!

I have a question. What if you capture on H264 and use Mac OS X Handbrake/Quicktime to convert to Motion-Jpeg?

I suspect that to use MPEG-4 as a source for recording is somehow degrading/downgrading the footage.

Why Motion-Jpeg at 75/100? A higher value could increase file space and probably quality.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
First time I saw the post I wished you Resedited VideoShop to allow 1080p.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
the question is when you will reach the top end of your current OS 9 hardware configuration for deencoding.

the limit for uncompressed video is already reached in the range of pal/secam resolution, with 2k/FHD video all depends on the quality of the codec, while the bitrate maximum will never be reached no matter what compression used.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
Would bring FinalCutPro any advantages to the game?
I know next to nothing about. Only bite on the marketing bait I guess that FinalCutPro is more optimized for Mac OS?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
the question is when you will reach the top end of your current OS 9 hardware configuration for deencoding.

the limit for uncompressed video is already reached in the range of pal/secam resolution, with 2k/FHD video all depends on the quality of the codec, while the bitrate maximum will never be reached no matter what compression used.

Are you referring to playback of that FHD video? Do you mean dropped frames?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
yes, i´m talking about playback. :)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »
First time I saw the post I wished you Resedited VideoShop to allow 1080p.
VideoShop can work with 1080p and MPEG-4 files natively, we save the M-JPEG re-encoding step.
I'm planing to use it to make some 1080p 3D test. No kidding at all.

Would bring FinalCutPro any advantages to the game?
I know next to nothing about. Only bite on the marketing bait I guess that FinalCutPro is more optimized for Mac OS?
Despite Apple claims, Final Cut is dam slow in Mac Os 9. I have never find any utility to it ...

I have a question. What if you capture on H264 and use Mac OS X Handbrake/Quicktime to convert to Motion-Jpeg?
I suspect that to use MPEG-4 as a source for recording is somehow degrading/downgrading the footage.

Yes, that's it. But part of the challenge is to use the less non Mac Os 9 systems as possible.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:51:16 PM by MacTron »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 12:37:22 AM »
i think he is under the impresion that the program itself has a size limit - because many do.

U&I software for example does not allow to export quicktime video bigger than 2048*1560... for whatever reason.

quicktime player and aftereffects can go a lot higher, but when you try to export a videoframe of 10,000*10,000, quicktime player freezes the machine.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 05:31:03 AM »
i think he is under the impresion that the program itself has a size limit - because many do.

U&I software for example does not allow to export quicktime video bigger than 2048*1560... for whatever reason.

quicktime player and aftereffects can go a lot higher, but when you try to export a videoframe of 10,000*10,000, quicktime player freezes the machine.

Yes, that's is. Furthermore, some codec implementations and standards impose some frame and bitrate limits, (like DV and some old h263 codecs).
Otherwise QuickTime, MJPEG and MPEG-4 (3ivx) seems to have not any practical limit.
I have converted a 4k M-JPEJ video file to a 4K MPEG-4 without any issue using QuicTime Player. (Click on the attache image)