Author Topic: Ideas diagnosing this TiBook speaker issue?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline john8520

• Newcomer
Ideas diagnosing this TiBook speaker issue?
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »
Hey all,
I've got an issue with my TiBook's internal speakers that has me banging my head against a wall, and I'm hoping I can get some help.

A few weeks ago I picked up a DVI 867 in excellent shape, everything working fine except the optical drive and speakers. The internal mic works fine, and the 3.5mm headphone jack works fine, but not the internal speakers. I've tested in 9.2.2, 10.3.9 and 10.4.11 - no chime, no nothing. Not even a crackle. They seem entirely dead.

I picked up a "for parts" TiBook DVI 1GHz bottom case for cheap, confirmed that it chimes, and swapped its motherboard into my system and still... no chime. I am entirely at a loss here. If you're familiar with the layout of the TiBook 867/1GHz, the speakers/mic are very simple. There's one connection to the motherboard that has 6 wires, three signal/ground pairs for left, right, and mic. One speaker is a speaker/mic combo, and then a cable runs across under the keyboard to the lone right speaker.

I'm on the cusp of migrating the physical speakers across, but that's a major chore. Any thoughts here?

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Ideas diagnosing this TiBook speaker issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »
Did you ever find a fix for this?  I have the exact same issue.

I found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4416227

Sadly neither of the suggestions fixed mine but might give some clues.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
Here is the flow guide from the original apple service manual:

No sound from speaker(s)

1.   Use the Software Update control panel to verify that the latest audio update has been installed.

2.   Press the F3 key (with the fn key pressed and not pressed) to verify that mute mode is not enabled.

3.   Press the F4 or F5 key (with the fn key pressed and not pressed) to check the volume setting.

4.   Verify no external speakers or headphones are plugged in.

5.  Check the speakers tab on the Sound control panel to confirm that the software is correctly seeing that there are no external speakers or headphones connected.

6.   Shutdown computer and restart.

7.   Reset PRAM (Press the power button, then hold down the Option-Command-P-R keys until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial startup chime).Warning: Resetting the PRAM will permanently remove a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents. You will also need to reset the date and time (using the Date & Time control panel).

8.   Verify that the speaker cable is connected properly to logic board.

9.   Check speaker cable. Verify left and right cable connections.

10. Check with headphones or external speaker, if audio is heard, replace heat exchanger with speaker wire assembly.

11. Replace top case.

12. Replace logic board

The Logic board replacement was actually the very last step, please go in order :) to save yourself grief, also note that #5 is a common issue since...
There's a little metal clamp/switch deeply within the audio socket that might be bent by an inappropriate 3.5 audio-plug. When it is constantly in "switch-off internal-speakers while headphones are plugged-in"-position, the internal speakers are silent.

Full service guide here:
https://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powerbook/pbg4_dvi.pdf

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
Thanks DieHard, followed the steps but can only conclude it's the "little metal clamp/switch deeply within the audio socket" as everything else appears normal. 

Do you know of a way if un-clicking this thing?  Guess it needs pulling from the motherboard and replacing as fishing around blindly inside the socket seems very hit or miss