Author Topic: any suggestions on a good easy hard drive imaging option for OSX or even PC?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
I am having a doozy of a time with this leopard install and currently have my SSD setup with Tiger/OS9/Media partitions.. last time i had leopard on it, it was working but then faulty updaters corrupted it and i lost everything and started over

FdB advised i snapshot it but i was feeling confident i finally had it.. welp.. it didn't work out like that and i should have done it so now i'm going to do it right.. 

So my plan is now to image this 128gb SSD and make an image of it so i can upgrade with confidence and experiment..  from this snap shot i'll get leopard 10.5.0 like before and then i can try more upgrade / updates and hopefully not corrupt it again. 

I wanted to avoid the clonezilla approach of putting this in a system and dealing with dos stuff..  i was hoping there is some simple app that can read an external hard drive (my ssd is one of those universal hard drive reader caddies for easy insertion/taking out.. 

Now to find a program (ideally modern OSX or heck maybe OS9?) that would make an image of the whole thing.  I'm googling around, but since this is OS9 world.. and old OSX..  i'm not sure if the modern solutions are necessarily the ones to go with because maybe they have issues with older OS stuff for any number of reasons. 

Thanks!
Caleb

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
... FdB advised i snapshot it but i was feeling confident i finally had it.. welp.. it didn't work out like that and i should have done it so now i'm going to do it right.. 

So my plan is now to image this 128gb SSD and make an image of it so i can upgrade with confidence and experiment..  from this snap shot i'll get leopard 10.5.0 like before and then i can try more upgrade / updates and hopefully not corrupt it again. 

I wanted to avoid the clonezilla approach of putting this in a system and dealing with dos stuff..

What does that even mean ?  ;D

i was hoping there is some simple app that can read an external hard drive (my ssd is one of those universal hard drive reader caddies for easy insertion/taking out.. 

Now to find a program (ideally modern OSX or heck maybe OS9?) that would make an image of the whole thing.  I'm googling around, but since this is OS9 world.. and old OSX..  i'm not sure if the modern solutions are necessarily the ones to go with because maybe they have issues with older OS stuff for any number of reasons.

Carbon Copy Cloner by Mike Bombich ... although I'd don't know if I'd call it "simple" ... since (as you are apparently finding out  ::)) there is ... something to know ... when mucking around with the OS ... particularly OS X. But yeah, CCC is pretty "easy" ...

Reason why I suggest CCC is that you pay the whatever (... $30 bucks ?) for the license and he gives you a link that will serialize the program on up to 4 machines of something like that ... and that includes older versions as well.

Currently cloning a Tiger install onto a FW drive with CCC version 3.4.7f as I type this ...

Thanks!
Caleb

You betcha ! ...  8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:14:25 PM by GorfTheChosen »