Author Topic: External Firewire Drive with unformated IDE drive not recognized in OS9.2.2  (Read 1744 times)

Offline jude

• Newcomer
Hi Folks,

I am trying to format and partition a 320GB IDE hard drive using an external powered Firewire Drive (made by SkyMaster circa 2001) that is designed for use in OS8/OS9. To this end I have followed the instructions and resources kindly provided here to install OS 9.2.2 on an iBook G3 with Tiger 10.4.8 already installed. I can boot into OS 9.2.2 no problem and the firewire support extensions (2.8.7) are installed and enabled and the driver for the SkyMaster Firewire Drive is also visible and enabled in System Profiler.

However when I launch Apple Drive Setup V2.1 the Firewire Drive containing the unformated 320GB IDE hard drive is not detected. I don't have a manual so I am not sure if there is a drive capacity limit for the enclosure.

Could anyone suggest any additional steps I need to perform or other trouble shooting options in OS9? or should I give up and buy a USB IDE enclosure to use with OSX?

Also just to clarify, I want to format and partition the 320GB IDE hard drive to use in a blue and white G4 to then install OS9.2.2 on that machine to run an old drum scanner (for film).
I am aware of the 128GB bus limit for that model but as long as it is partitioned to 3 x ~107GB it will work or the overall 320GB capacity is critical?

appreciate any suggestions

cheers from down under

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
if it is from 2001 is almost sure that the case has a size limit - but that should prevent from the drive showing up ,and you should also be able to format it (i.e. the first 137 gb)

if you have 10.4 then use this to format the drive - it will let you partition better anway.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
See: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2408.msg34879.html#msg34879
Drive Setup 2.1 vs. 1.9.2

Yes that is well documented on the forum and the website :)
Also, as Mactron noted... Drive Setup 2.1 removed the ability to multi-partition FW external drives... so simply use the older Drive setup 1.9.2 with 9.2.2 when needed that feature for FW drives...