Author Topic: List of SSDs that works with Mac Os 9  (Read 36848 times)

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Re: List of SSDs that works with Mac Os 9
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2020, 01:34:39 AM »
What about SCSI RAID 0 software solutions? Got any names? As you may already know, SATA support for OS9 in SATA cards is done by tricking the OS into recognizing them as SCSI cards, to eliminate the need for drivers.

"Drop out in games" and/or "choppy video" from mere SSD use is simply impossible. Even if the SSD was finally about to die, and that was to interfere, it would outright crash the game, video player and/or the OS. If anything, it would have the opposite effect, because less energy is drawn from the PSU and less heat is generated, in case components started lacking the required energy, and/or started getting too hot to properly function.

Have had an SSD on the mini since the beginning, and my MDD is also functioning better than ever with this monstrous SSD. Not even once did I experience any such issues, and I played all sorts of games extensively, from Diablo II and Battlin' Babe to Escape Velocity, Mars Rising and Marathon. Same for OSX PPC, for an even longer period of time.

The cause(s) is(are) certainly elsewhere. I.e. bad displays being used, bad GPUs, usage of virtual memory etc.. It'd be relevant to know what machines are being used, exactly, too. It could very well be the machine simply doesn't meet the game or video requirements from the beginning, like a slow processor or slow GPU. (And, no, storage capacity doesn't change RAM requirements in any significant, if even in any, way.)

There's also the issue that some people call microSDs or Compact Flash (CF) drives "SSD". :) Although that still shouldn't cause those specific problems. Although it may be worthwhile to know what drive adapters they may be using.

In short, assuming the reports are real or accurate, there is without doubt misattribution to the cause of the problems. We can actually try troubleshooting them if you provide links to them. Only issue is that it'd be a bit offtopic, because it's not SSD-related. :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »
no these people were not available to troubleshoot their problems. would have loved to discuss it. :)

about scsi raid, what software would that be? and what would happen with a software raid solution when you boot into OSX?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2020, 09:28:46 AM »
and what would happen with a software raid solution when you boot into OSX?

Using an OS9 RAID solution, then booting into OSX? That's actually a very good question... I'm assuming at worst it would not recognize the drives and ask for them to be reformatted, and at best, it would recognize them like a single drive just fine, but that depends on how it really works behind the scenes.

But first, we would need some OS9 RAID software. I will try to have a look next weekend, I'm sure I can find something...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
switching to SSDs via ide adapter in my main quicksilver next week, wish me luck.

Offline dajhorn

• Newcomer
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2020, 05:57:15 AM »
This works:
  • Generic JMicron JM20330 bridge adapter. (From M.2 SATA to 2.5" PATA.)
  • Kingspec NT-128 M.2 SATA 128GB SSD.
Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger are both bootable, and the adapter reports sensible metadata like SMART status.

This upgrade seems to max-out the IDE port in the Mac Mini G4. Both parts together cost less than $50 delivered in September 2020.

Offline tuxedojack

• Newcomer
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »
I have a 120GB Samsung PM830 working in my Cube now via a Sabrent mSATA to SATA adapter (which is then daisy-chained to a Kingwin SATA-to-IDE adapter).

Offline ToddH

• Valued Member
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
ide2m2 ??

this style.

they are mostly white, sometimes black, and exist for 2280 as well as msata. starting at USD 10 and easily fit into a mini.

the delock clamp is 3 mm thicker and 30 dollars.^^

I just purchased one of these with a 128 GB mSATA SSD. Is it better to leave the white case on or off? Wondering about any heat issues.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
i really dont know. i´ve put mine in (i´ve paid for it so i use it) but it probably works without.

what the case definetely does it that it protects the board and the ssd while you assemble the machine. and who knows, maybe it it also useful in case you drop the mini on the floor.

Offline ToddH

• Valued Member
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
Will leave on then. Thanks.  :)

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I just purchased one of these with a 128 GB mSATA SSD. Is it better to leave the white case on or off? Wondering about any heat issues.

Got a similar one for my powerbook and was concerned about temperature. As the thread for the screws to keep it in position were on the plastic part, I was not comfortable to put it in without (I don't have a double-sided tape that I would trust).

So the halfway point for me was to drill the plastic part to make it look like swiss cheese !

Not having a temperature probe at the SSD level I cannot provide any data to help compare the solutions.
As usual,whatever you are comfortable with should be fine (worst case scenario you will have to re-open the Mac to change the setup if it really does not work well).
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline Hopfenholz

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2021, 03:13:48 AM »
Thought it was worth noting that I am using the Dogfish MSATA 128GB drive with a cheap eBay IDE adapter and it seems to work fine HOWEVER FireWire target Disk mode no longer works - black screen, nothing happens.

This is on a PowerBook G4 12” 1.5Ghz. Due to the design of the HDD connector cable I have no ability to jumper the adapter to Master.

Transcend SSD 30GB works perfectly on TiBook 500MHz, but again FW target disk mode did not work (and machine would hang on wake from sleep) until I jumpered the drive to Master. Now everything works fine.

FW target disk mode makes these old macs a lot more usable when configuring etc so thought it was worth noting.

Offline xerograph

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2021, 08:58:35 AM »
But first, we would need some OS9 RAID software. I will try to have a look next weekend, I'm sure I can find something...

I use CharisMac RAID PPC V2.52 as software-RAID 1 solution with two SSD at Acard and Sonnet sATA adapters for over ten years now.
the computers were G3 b/w, G4 Quicksilver and G4/MDD with system 9.2.2.
Built 5 or 6 systems in this configuration. never had any problems. RAID 0 is also possible.

Offline GuiBer

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
Here is my experience with my PowerMac G4 MDD 400FW with a converter PATA to SATA to allow the installation of a SSD drive in the PMac.

I bought a Startech converter card (https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2sat2  US$ 24,99) and I connected first an SSD Crucial BX300 120GB and after a SanDisk Plus 240GB.
Both SSD was formatted with Mac OS Tiger 10.4 and Disk Utility, partitioning (Apple Format) them in 3 volumes and installing OS9 drives. Jumper set to Cable Select.
In the first partition then I installed OS X Leopard, in the second OS X Tiger and in the third OS 9.2.2.
Well, everything works great and I can switch and boot from every partition.

The benchmarks I got with Hard Disk SpeedTools 3.7 are (both SSD had similar results on the ATA/100 channel) :  read 64mb/s - write 60mb/s (standard test) and read 89mb/s - write 87mb/s (extended test).
Always using the same bus ATA/100, a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9  ATA/133 (120GB) has achieved 43/34 (standard) and 46/42 (extended).
In my opinion, for the price and the characteristics the Startech card is a really good purchase for a Mac G3/G4 and maybe G5.
Mac User since 1984

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »

In my opinion, for the price and the characteristics the Startech card is a really good purchase for a Mac G3/G4 and maybe G5.

might be a viable option given the onboard sata in the G5 is *very* picky about what SSDs it will work with.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »
G4 PowerBook Titanium DVI 1Gb / 667MHz
Docooler mSATA to IDE enclosure (black plastic housing and PCB w/ JM20330 chip)
SunBow mSATA 120Gb M3 SSD

Format via Drive Setup 1.9.2 and restore via the MacOS9Lives ASR.  Booting 9.2.2 fine and working fast and smoothly so far  -afro-
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:50:19 PM by pmj »

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »
I was finally able to make my long dead G4 MDD 867 work again with Instant Daw (Awesome image btw!) now up and running ! ;D ;D ;D
Booting from a cheap Lexar NS100 256 GB with the red startech adapter! These days I should get another cheap PNY SSD to test with the cheap green chinese adapter!

UPDATE: The cheap green chinese IDE\SATA Adapter (old one not the RXD-629A7-7)  is likely defective, or at least I can't boot from the same Lexar disk that works with the startech!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:42:55 AM by Gaz »

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2021, 01:14:52 AM »
Ok, I can confirm that the cheap PNY CS900 120 GB boots in OS9 just fine, although must be noted that his advertised speed data (rw 500mb/sec) are far from truth ( about 300 mb/sec) from what I benchmarked.
This is not a problem with G4s/G3s as the bottleneck is in the sata card, the pci bus, ide bus or in the ide to sata converter, but If you want to reuse the disk on a more modern machine is a big no no!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:28:45 AM by Gaz »

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2021, 08:39:32 AM »
Before my MDD stopped working I was getting around 50mps with the Kingwin and OWC Elektra on the 100ata and 30mps on the 66

Offline Angel

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
Before trying the SD Adapter way, i've tested a Crucial BX 120GB with an IDE/SATA Adapter ever connected to the standard controller.

There i've been crushed versus really bad sys crash (all dead, rom routine too) during write tests but there the problem seem related only to adapter's capacitors. I've tested two different of them with different capacitors' values and i'm pretty sure the smaller one kill the machine faster than the second one.

If you are using a device like these, who are their maker ? What values can you see on the capacitors so i will try to modify my ?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Bad Bridge Adapter?
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Which Mac did you install in and which IDE/SATA adapter specifically?
(Pics of your adapters would be great).

Installed (2) Crucial, BX 500 SSDs’s (480GB & 1000GB) in Mac Minis here - w/o failures.
*But not with capacitor-ed adapters like the ADP-06, RXD-629A7-7 or JP103-5 varieties.
If none of these above adapters, please advise. AND - both of yours... kill your Mac?

PM me.