Author Topic: List of SSDs that works with Mac Os 9  (Read 36787 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: List of SSDs that works with Mac Os 9
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2020, 04:11:56 AM »
oh now i understand, it simply employs both IDE buses over one connector, just like an IDE cable does. silly me.

i can hear fury already galloping across the fields, to help you to find the right cable.

however, as soon as fury arrives in town he has to add the "dual" solution to current line of adapter investigations.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
if we could insert iframes in forum posts we could use one sheet where people report and another one to publish the curretn version.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »
so, after i´ve moved them back from intel minis to the g4 minis i can now finally confirm:

m.2 WD Green 240 Gb via "white case" ide2m2 in a mini

m.2 Intenso 120 Gb via "white case" ide2m2 in a mini

Offline XinSheng

• Valued Member
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
if we could insert iframes in forum posts we could use one sheet where people report and another one to publish the curretn version.

Hopefully there are no super strict Apple purists triggered by the suggestion of a Microsoft "product" on a forum devoted to vintage Apple products.  ;D  Thankfully, the "best" things were eventually incorporated into the standards.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
haha, i already knew a bunch of argumetns against iframes in forums, but their microsoft origin was not yet on my mind.

iframes are so cool when you want to stay away from php. :)

Offline XinSheng

• Valued Member
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
haha, i already knew a bunch of argumetns against iframes in forums, but their microsoft origin was not yet on my mind.

iframes are so cool when you want to stay away from php. :)

:) It's been a long time, but I'm sure they are probably the same arguments as decades ago. I only remember that off the top of my head because of having to make websites similar functioning between IE and Netscape with their incomplete/different implementations of the W3C standards.

Cool and useful when you know what you want to do and how. And maybe still you can link the iframe to another site, maybe even itself and cause an infinite loop.  :-X  Never fell victim to that one, only when someone distracted me while creating links on a unix workstation, and did not notice that the focus changed to a different window and my link to a folder was created within the folder itself. Luckily it did not run for too long before I investigated why it was taking longer than normal to copy the new version to the staging area.

Offline XinSheng

• Valued Member
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Going out on a limb here… “Duals” can either mean Master + Slave jumper settings OR EVEN Master, Slave AND Cable Select jumper options setttings????

I’m inclined to go with the Master + Slave for “Dual” …which might then make the M / S / CS bridges “TRIPLES”?

And it’s getting more than just a bit confusing now… with the m.2 introduction.

And what’s with the yellow colored “StarTech dual” pictured above? I assume that the jumper(s) allow the choice between Master or Slave? (And no choice of Cable Select.)

AND Congrats to XinSheng on his successful OS 9 boot with a Samsung EVO 860 w/ StarTech adapter.

Thanks. I wonder if it would be of any benefit to also include disk speed tests? With the three different types of form factors, 2.5, mSata, M.2 (2 different types?), for various models, plus the various different adaptors. I would hope that any variations in speed should be pretty minor, since they should be in the end be bottlenecked by the end connection. I didn't end up trying any other machines with the SDD, since for some reason compressed air is also in low supply in stores. I might have to just take the time to do "full" disassemblies to give things a good scrubbing, inside and outside. Have a bunch of cans of compressed air, some high 90s IPA, and a thing of PlastX.

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
wonder if it would be of any benefit to also include disk speed tests? With the three different types of form factors, 2.5, mSata, M.2 (2 different types?), for various models, plus the various different adaptors. I would hope that any variations in speed should be pretty minor, since they should be in the end be bottlenecked by the end connection.

I have tested many drives / adapters / and configurations
so far all of the adapters I have; red / green / yellow  / black produce nearly the same result

The Speed of the drive plays a huge factor in the PMG4 tests i did
my guess is some drives are gifted in the onboard ram / buffer process and this has a measurable interaction with the ATA100 transfer rate.
the Evo 860 and this OCZ 2.5" SSD are freakishly fast on any adapter or controller over the other SSD's tested.

once I popped in the Seritek 1v4 /Samsung Evo 860 SSDs all of a sudden the ram speed became a major player in data transfer speed!!!!
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2020, 05:33:45 AM »
the speeds will be around 110-150 mb/s, as long as you dont use a SATA II controller in a 64 bit PCI slot MDD.

not sure if you need to know it more exact?

what i find interesting is the speed of the SSDs themselves (which doesnt play any role in OS9 ;) ), often bigger disks are much faster because they have a different architecture.

sometimes this goes together with amazing price differences. the samsung 860 EVO for example is a steal at 1TB, both smaller (well that is to be expected) and bigger ones are far more expensive. (1TB starts at 120 euro, 4TB starts at 850 euro)

Offline Shocklance

• Newcomer
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »
I am booting OS9 from a 80GB Intel 530 Series M.2 connected to the usual SinTech green adapter.

Hopefully this information assists someone in the future.

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
Hi all, there are some cheap Samsung EVO 750 120gb drives for sale locally. I did a search but only found one ref to using these in a macbook pro. Any reason i shouldnt try one out on my MDD 1.25? For 9.2.  I cant find any references to these to these- good or bad.

Oh, to answer my own question i see its a cheaper version of the 850 so probably wont work...oh well
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:24:52 AM by nickbirkby »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
of course that is exactly why it would be great if you tested. :)

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
I think I will. Hopefully can use it elsewhere if it doesnt work..

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2020, 07:45:50 AM »
so, after i´ve moved them back from intel minis to the g4 minis i can now finally confirm:

m.2 WD Green 240 Gb via "white case" ide2m2 in a mini

ide2m2 ??

I have a WD Green M.2 2280 (240GB) working with an M.2 to SATA adapter:
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »
ide2m2 ??

this style.

they are mostly white, sometimes black, and exist for 2280 as well as msata. starting at USD 10 and easily fit into a mini.

the delock clamp is 3 mm thicker and 30 dollars.^^
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:43 PM by IIO »

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
Samsung Evo 860 "probably" DON'T works on Mac Os 9 (tested is needed)

Most likely works, as the higher-end MLC version, Samsung PRO 860, works on my MDD (with Marvell-based SATA-to-IDE adapter) under 9.2.2.

2TB version, no less.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-SATA-Internal-MZ-76P2T0BW/dp/B07879KC15

I also got the EVO version in mSATA form factor (with a non-Marvell adapter) on my PowerBook 15" DLSD working just fine, but that machine isn't running OS9 yet, so that doesn't count, but may be worth mentioning.

I'd like to try the 4TB PRO version on the MDD with OS9 someday, but I'm not confident that would work, simply due to drive (not partition) size. But I later realized that it's likely better to buy multiple 256 GB SSDs and configure them as a single partition with RAID 0, as far as optimal speed is concerned. No idea what RAID 0 software for OS 9 is available for this purpose, though, if any. Any ideas/pointers?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2020, 05:46:03 AM »

raid? the 860 pro has some 500/500 read/write speed, which is 4 times higher than the IDE bus you are connected it to.

but feel free to try that proposed 4TB method, we are waiting for someone who can do a practice test. :)

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
raid? the 860 pro has some 500/500 read/write speed, which is 4 times higher than the IDE bus you are connected it to.

Yes, but put 2 SDDs in 2 separate IDE buses with a single RAID 0 partition, and you got yourself IDE speeds x 2. Add PCI SATA cards, and you got yourself 3, 4 etc. buses, all writing to and reading from in parallel. :)

That's the theory, anyway, and we need RAID 0 software for it to work. I believe it likely exists for OS 9, but would have to look.

PPC OS X has built-in RAID 0 support which works that way. I just don't invest on that instead because, well, it's not Mac OS. 8)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
yeah that what i was thinking, for IDE there is no software solution foir OS9.

btw. i have read a few reports from people which said that using an SSD with OS9 or with very slow OSX PPC machines would have made the performance of other componenty sloppy.

say like dropouts in games or choppy video.

so eventually it is not the best idea to max out your mass storage speeds when you dont have a good bunch of RAM in your machine? or what other reasons could cause that symptome?