Author Topic: Newbie with G4 and some issues  (Read 2230 times)

Offline MikeTR3

• Newcomer
Newbie with G4 and some issues
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Hi, I was given an iMac G4 17" 1 GHz Model: M6498, it just needed a new PRAM battery to get it ok, running Tiger 10.4

I started out way back with OS 6 on a IIvi, then an LC475 etc.
Wrote a Hypercard stack "Convertor" as shareware and got postcards from around the world, loved Hypercard, Pagemaker etc.

So thought I'd try running OS9, no joy booting from the CD ISO I got from here, BUT dragged the system 9.2.2 folder into Tiger and I can run the Classic environment.
OK so far.

MY QUESTION IS can I boot the G4 straight into OS9?
I formatted an external drive (partitioned into 150GB) as Mac Extended (no journaling) and put the 9.2.2 system folder on it.
BUT Tiger in Startup Disc will not show it as a bootable volume.

Am I wasting my time as it will never do this?
Or am I doing something wrong?

All contributions gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Newbie with G4 and some issues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »
Your iMac is one model too new to happily boot into OS9. There are those who have spent much time with varying degrees of success to make it happen. There is an agony thread here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1173.0.html

The ongoing problems seem to be the built-in audio out dies. If you have USB speakers they WILL will be recognized and work.
There's also a getting beyond 256 colors issue… possibly other problems as well.

Unless you want to play "Hack the iMac" while quarantining, live with Classic.

Offline MikeTR3

• Newcomer
Re: Newbie with G4 and some issues
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
Gary, thanks for the rapid response.
I though that was probably the case, and there are more things in life than farting around trying to get it to boot.
I'll stick with the Classic Environment on Tiger.

I'll now spend my time in the attic looking for the USB floppy drive and my collection of 3.5" discs, happy days.

Thanks again

Mike