Author Topic: Will an EVO 860 work with OS 9.2.2?  (Read 8400 times)

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Will an EVO 860 work with OS 9.2.2?
« on: April 15, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
The price of Samsung EVO 840 SSD's is going up.

Will an 860 work with OS 9.2.2?

Thanks.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
SEARCH FEATURE / EVO 860
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 07:09:02 PM »
...and hit enter

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Re: Will an EVO 860 work with OS 9.2.2?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »
Sure, he could have used the search. But I think a comprehensive list of what SSDs work and what not would be really neat. Might eliminate future "will this SSD work?" threads. Searching for OS9 compatible SSDs isn't easy.
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:24:32 AM »
because most people ask things like "will it work?", it is not possible to give a satisfying answer and the search doesnt always bring up useful readings either.

you would have to ask back "SATA or m.2 or nvme? which controller board? do you want to connect via SATA or IDE? does your computer support 48 bit adressing or not? cable select or master/slave? do you plan to use more than one? how big will it be? if you use an SATA adapter, which one? do you need to boot OS9 or OSX from it or dont you need to boot from it at all?..."

see my other reply to the general problem, http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5435.0.html

not even google is able to tell you how to identify if a QS 2002 dual 1.0 by its serialnumber if it is the version with or without 48 bit ATA controller.

even worse for monitors vs GPUs.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re:EVO 860 / OS 9.2.2?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 07:32:52 AM »
Interesting perhaps to note that neither of my two esteemed colleagues above have actually answered the question about whether or not the EVO 860 will work with OS 9. And sure, while my initial response might have seemed a bit brusque… actually performing that search as suggested would have yielded the answer from: (1). (S)ATAman / macStuff and (2). torvan. From the second and third posts noted - in that search’s results.

Reminds me a bit of this quote:
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture”.  ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:00:52 AM »
because you cant answer it with yes or no. :) 1. because the question was incomplete and 2. because nobody of us knows everything about it anyway.

it might work for someones applications or not. it will for sure work with a native mac-supported PCI SATA card, used as storage disk, up to 2Gb, in either OS. all the rest is unforeseeable.

i´d love a complete buying guide for every possible G4 upgrade myself. including guarantee, so that i can blame someone else if i dont get it to work.

you will find posts here confirming full compatibilty with the 840 and about a firmware issue with the 850 (which doesnt let you boot from it when i remember right?)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
So, in essence... what you're saying is: "It depends"?
Good answer. 8) I'll use that.

"i´d love a complete buying guide for every possible G4 upgrade
including guarantee, so that i can blame someone else
if i dont get it to work."

(Keep wishing.) "I feel your pain".
                                - Bill Clinton ???

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: SEARCH FEATURE / EVO 860
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
...and hit enter

I probably should have said to start that I did search and didn't seem to find a definitive answer. Maybe I missed it.

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Sure, he could have used the search. But I think a comprehensive list of what SSDs work and what not would be really neat. Might eliminate future "will this SSD work?" threads. Searching for OS9 compatible SSDs isn't easy.

A comprehensive list would be excellent!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
SEARCH FEATURE / EVO 860
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:11:59 PM »
Maybe you should try PM-ing members: (S)ATAman or Torvan directly
for further information? They may actually answer your question(s).
Just a thought - until that comprehensive list becomes available.

Not everyone here is a real mean old goat like me. ;)
Best of luck.

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re:EVO 860 / OS 9.2.2?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:35:17 PM »
Interesting perhaps to note that neither of my two esteemed colleagues above have actually answered the question about whether or not the EVO 860 will work with OS 9. And sure, while my initial response might have seemed a bit brusque… actually performing that search as suggested would have yielded the answer from: (1). (S)ATAman / macStuff and (2). torvan. From the second and third posts noted - in that search’s results.

Reminds me a bit of this quote:
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture”.  ;)

I'm not sure the answer was in either of those two posts.

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
because you cant answer it with yes or no. :) 1. because the question was incomplete and 2. because nobody of us knows everything about it anyway.

it might work for someones applications or not. it will for sure work with a native mac-supported PCI SATA card, used as storage disk, up to 2Gb, in either OS. all the rest is unforeseeable.

i´d love a complete buying guide for every possible G4 upgrade myself. including guarantee, so that i can blame someone else if i dont get it to work.

you will find posts here confirming full compatibilty with the 840 and about a firmware issue with the 850 (which doesnt let you boot from it when i remember right?)

How much may I specify without causing everybody's eyes to glaze over and not reply at all? Perhaps a standard set of information that is considered sufficient?

The EVO 860 would be running in a Sawtooth AGP G4 with a Sonnet 1 GHz upgrade processor, 1 Gb of RAM, three conventional Ultra ATA hard drives (two 750 Gb Barracudas and 1 300 Gb Caviar) all running through ATA to SATA Firmtek/Seritek adapters, going to a Firmtek/Seritek PCI SATA card. The new EVO would be going through the PCI card as well.

The motherboard has been upgraded to the second one used in the Sawtooth series, namely having a uni north = 7 capability, which means it can take dual processors.

The computer natively boots from: System 9.2.X, OS 10.0 through OS 10.4.11, and also from the PowerPC versions of 10.5.X. In addition, it can boot and run on the Power PC versions of Linux, MintPPC, Debian, Ubuntu, etc. The 250 Gb EVO 840 that I have, does work under those conditions and has done so flawlessly. It is getting full.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
Great specifics on your targeted machine! Too bad everyone doesn’t provide such information when asking a question. It would make things so much easier to actually attempt assistance for those of us who haunt here frequently. Yet, is it not evident that we daily, frequent “spooks” don’t have the instant answer that you seek? This is why I suggested that you PM either (S)ATAman or Torvan… and perhaps especially Torvan (because I believe that he is very firmly OS 9 - entrenched) and he would most likely be happy to provide you with your answer… if he can, to your satisfaction.

And, while the answer might not have been readily available in either of those two posts from the search… a “bread-crumb trail” was there. Perhaps too abstract?

PM them and ask. Your initial question has now gone unanswered for three days.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 07:54:41 AM »
Samsung Evo 840 works on Mac Os 9 (tested by myself)
Samsung Evo 850 DON'T works on Mac Os 9 (tested by DieHard)
Samsung Evo 860 "probably" DON'T works on Mac Os 9 (tested is needed)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:48:57 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
Samsung Evo 840 works on Mac Os 9 (tested by myself)
Samsung Evo 850 DOESN'T works on Mac Os 9 (tested by DieHard)
Samsung Evo 860 "probably" DOESN'T works on Mac Os 9 (tested is needed)

That was what I was thinking from previous conversations I had on this forum some time back before I bought the 840 that I have.

Since I don't have money to burn (to test an EVO 860), I will need to buy another 840 and run with what is known to work.

As I recall from my original setup, I put the drive on my wife's PC, ran the Samsung diagnostics to check the used drive, and then installed it in the G4.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
yup, mactron, that is the status quo :)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 10:42:24 PM »
The 860 EVO carries over the same functionality as the 850 EVO---it is an auto-sensing SATA drive so it will work in SATA I , SATA II  & SATA III  adapter cards. 

The only "gotcha" is that if your SATA card requires a fixed SATA speed,  then no, it will not work.

That is why the 850 and 860 are hit and miss in most PowerMacs and the 840 is the better one to get.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 11:10:49 PM »
yeah that is the main difference between HDs and SSDs, HDs usually can be forced to SATA 150 compatibilty mode and then they will work on any comtroller. but arent there also relatively new SSDs which work with OS9/G4 machines? is there a pattern so that you can tell before if a product will work?

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 06:58:04 AM »
The 860 EVO carries over the same functionality as the 850 EVO---it is an auto-sensing SATA drive so it will work in SATA I , SATA II  & SATA III  adapter cards. 

The only "gotcha" is that if your SATA card requires a fixed SATA speed,  then no, it will not work.

That is why the 850 and 860 are hit and miss in most PowerMacs and the 840 is the better one to get.

What I should do then, is to buy a small, used EVO 860, and see if it works with the Firmtek card. If it does, then we know that at least the Firmtek option is viable.

I don't think that fixed or variable speed is mentioned in the instructions. I will have to find the paperwork and see.

Offline wnlewis

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
yeah that is the main difference between HDs and SSDs, HDs usually can be forced to SATA 150 compatibilty mode and then they will work on any comtroller. but arent there also relatively new SSDs which work with OS9/G4 machines? is there a pattern so that you can tell before if a product will work?

The Ultra ATA drives I have running, are not running through IDE bus. They are running through Firmtek IDE to SATA adapters and going into the Firmtek SATA card on the PCI bus.

In OS 9.2.2 the computer sees them as SCSI drives. Also, when Linux boots, Linux sees them as SCSI drives.