Author Topic: iBook G3 Snow - No Sleep Indicator?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
  • Eccentric Electronic Musician
    • Europa's Macintosh Mansion
iBook G3 Snow - No Sleep Indicator?
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
I just realized that something was missing from my iBook: a sleep indicator light. It's a Dual USB iBook G3 Snow. Does anyone know if these are supposed to have a light and why it wouldn't be activating if they do?
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio (733 MHz, 1.5 GB RAM)
Mac Mini G4 (1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM)
iBook G3 Dual USB (500MHz, 640MB RAM)

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:
https://soundcloud.com/user-385492180
https://soundcloud.com/europa9

Offline enryfox

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: iBook G3 Snow - No Sleep Indicator?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
Yes, it has a sleep indicator: it is a white led which shines through the semi-translucent plastic on the left of the screen lid release button.
Sometime it does not make good contact: try squeezing the ibook body around the release button, sometime it resume working.

Offline enryfox

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: iBook G3 Snow - No Sleep Indicator?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:13:49 AM »
By the way, is your iBook still working fine ? I hope you know that all iBook's of that series (both G3 and G4) have a fatal flaw in the soldering of the video chip and with time some contacts come loose and the iBook freezes. Mine started having problem last year but I have managed to mitigate the problem with a shim underneath the metal shield where the video chip is to press it hardly against the pcb. I've been told it's a temporary workaround, but so far it's holding up fine. Back in 2004~2005 apple offered a free replacement in case of failure, but to my knowledge the problem never got finally fixed and some iBooks had the main board replaced three or four time.