Author Topic: Reading HFS standard and MFS on macOS X 10.15  (Read 4162 times)

Offline giovariot

• Valued Member
Reading HFS standard and MFS on macOS X 10.15
« on: April 09, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »
I know it's not *exactly* related to classic Mac OS but it's maybe of some interest to people working with classic Macs today.

I wanted to send to my father as a present the disk images from all his old floppies and drives that he left in a huge box in a closet in my home, so we can finally say goodbye to that huge box, the problem is he owns a last model MacBook Pro that runs Catalina that can neither mount HFS "non plus" nor MFS (Apple removed HFS standard support in 10.15, apparently just for the sake of it... Hating this approach to "old", even more when they're keeping support for FAT12 DOS floppies and removing support for their own floppies...)

Trying to find a solution for HFS on my own I found these:
Code: [Select]
Device not configured
Plain HFS volumes not currently supported
Couldn't open volume: Undefined error: 0

I also found out that HFS standard options are still in /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs, so they have probably disabled old HFS support in some other way.
Does anyone know what would happen if I took hfs.fs from Mojave and used it in Catalina?

About MFS support I found 2 things:
  • https://github.com/d235j/fusemfs but I can't find a way to build it, even after updating the project, updating source code from updated repositories, even if libfuse_ino64.2.dylib is in /usr/local/lib and that path is added to Xcode options  :o
ld: library not found for -lfuse_ino64.2
Unfortunately I'm too much of a noob to be able to edit those projects so we can read old HFS and MFS disks on OS X, but maybe someone knows alternatives.
(I mean, I know that I could access those drives using emulators, but being able to mount them directly would be a lot cleaner and easier).

Sorry again if it's not related enough to Mac OS 9.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Reading HFS standard and MFS on macOS X 10.15
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
https://github.com/elliotnunn/machfs

Install the python library with pip (you need Python 3). Then just use the DumpHFS command on /dev/whatever, and it will leave the whole contents of the disk in a directory.

Sorry, no MFS support yet.

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
Re: Reading HFS standard and MFS on macOS X 10.15
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 08:05:33 AM »
I found a utility that allows to mount HFS Standard in macOS 12 Monterey. Its needs to be pre-assembled and established dependencies: macFuse.

But at first glance, it works!

For example, a screenshot in which I successfully mounted the Mac OS 9 community image.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.