Author Topic: Dual booting help needed  (Read 9025 times)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: Dual booting help needed
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 03:34:59 AM »
there are even jumper settings which run diagonal. what a wonderful, wonderful world.

Whou! I have jumpered over 100 devices and never seen like that.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
I'm still struggling..  two different jaguar disks are booting / formating drive.. and copying install files then goes to a black dos screen..  "exit error - 0" or something like that and the 2nd line is "please restart the computer".. 

but i'm going to try a combination of things including using an old spinner..  i've been hesitant to do it with that just because it's got a good osx tiger install for my sawtooth with my media 100 software on it.. but i gotta get to the bottom of this..

i'm thinking its the sata adapter..  seeing the QS doesn't actually support cable select..  osx might just crap out..  but for whatever reason OS9 doesn't care and installs without trouble.    will report soon.

Interesting discovery though..  the QS actually has a cable in it with a 28 terminated..  it's not a standard ide ribbon..  going to see if the sawtooth has a normal ribbon as another thing to test with. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »
Whou! I have jumpered over 100 devices and never seen like that.

i have also never heard about "reduced speed powerup" - while at the same i was always speculating that it might exist, because it would be really clever for a typical home/office/studio computer which is turned on and off several times every day.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 05:19:49 PM »
man nothing wants to work.  I've even gone back to a spinner 20gb hard drive definitely set to master on the right ribbon..  and still get the same issues..   i was able to tell finally what was working and what wasn't regarding the master / slave (HDD didn't have a chart to show me) but through process of elimination, I could tell because if i had it not set as slave or master on the right ide ribbon my Jaguar disk utility would not see the drive at all.. 

however i have realized maybe i've been making a noob mistake..  all this time i've been trying to install in a system that has all 4 PCI slots filled with various hardware..  so i'm going try again tomorrow and remove all of the optional hardware to see if maybe that hardware might be causing some issues.

Also interesting..  both the quicksilver AND sawtooth actually have the "easy way" mod done to both cables..  so I guess this is why the Sata adapter will work with one but not both?   

http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

the 28th pin is clipped in the far end like the first illustration in this page..   just thought that was interesting considering that the quicksilver itself (the one i have at least) doesn't support cable select devices..   interesting stuff.   will report in when i test.   

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Quicksilver SSD / Bridges
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
Pre-2002 Quicksilvers

So here’s the possible solution to the Quicksilver SSD / ADP-06, Jaguar / Tiger install with a conventional HD also in place. ADP-06 and SSD in place on the middle, grey cable connector (seen as Master) and the conventional HD connected to the black cable connector [jumpered and seen] as Slave). *After OS install, the SSD with ADP bridge can be placed on either the black or the grey connector, when used alone as a solo drive and it will still be recognized, useable and bootable (without the 3.5” drive present).

However, in order to use a 2nd SSD and bridge in a pre-2002 Quicksilver (in place of the 3.5” drive) - an Addonics or StarTech bridge would be needed. (The ADP bridges do not provide for a Slave setting, whereas the Addonics & StarTech do.) *Greystash’s less expensive “Bribge” adapters might also function too.

2002 Quicksilvers reportedly changed to Cable Select (like the MDDs) and in those cases… one might need (2) Addonics (or StarTech) bridges for their Cable Select settings. /Have ordered 2 of the StarTech bridges to test this later. AND of course, will also attempt with an ADP-06 bridge in the mix on an MDD as well. (There’s no 2002 Quicksilver present here to test.)

Below, see the SSD partitioned into 3 equal partitions.
OS 9 / DieHard’s Instant DAW installed on the first.
OS 10.2 Jaguar installed on the SPACE partition.
OS 10.4.6 Tiger installed on the SPACE II partition.
AND
OS 10.4.6 Tiger installed on the TIGER! HD
Now all bootable and visible from whichever OS is booted.

*Installed Tiger OVER Jaguar on the SPACE II partition and on the TIGER! HD.
Now I can erase SPACE & SPACE II for working space…
as Tiger is now resident on the SLAVE drive.

Hopefully, part12studios will be allowed to finally and successfully install Tiger in some manner or form after removing the following cards from his Quicksilver: M100, scsi, motu 324, video card. (Except for maybe that video card.) All things considered, it’s possible that installs could have been done on the drives while in the Sawtooth (main differences being all of those cards installed in the QS) and then SSD moved to the Quicksilver with OS pre-installed. An item from both the Jaguar & Tiger install discs “Before You Install” PDFs notes the following:

Installing on a computer with a third-party SCSI card
If you have a third-party SCSI card installed in your computer and you cannot start up
Mac OS X, attach a disk or SCSI terminator to one of the card’s ports. If you continue to
have problems, try removing the card. Contact the manufacturer of the card for more
information about using the card with Mac OS X.
(That’s just for the SCSI card alone.)

AND that http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html graphic of a Cable Select cable
doesn’t quite jive with an actual Mac CS cable visually… Quicksilver or MDD.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2020, 02:17:03 AM »
what about these?

mine are in the minis now, so i cant test with a QS 2002.

cases are around USD15, m.2 2280 SSDs are some 10% more expensive than 2,5"

if it supported cable select it might be worth the difference.

the startech adapter might work technically, but it is not so easy to put 2 of those in a QS - or 4 of them into an MMD´s case - because there is really no room for that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 02:33:13 AM by IIO »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 04:29:08 AM »
I used one of these in my 12" powerbook 1.5ghz with a 64gb mSATA..  works great..   but isn't this a 2.5" device?  i imagine there are 2.5" to 3.5" adapters but not sure. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 05:41:11 AM »
I used one of these in my 12" powerbook 1.5ghz with a 64gb mSATA..  works great..   but isn't this a 2.5" device?  i imagine there are 2.5" to 3.5" adapters but not sure.

yes it is 2,5.

you are right, an m.2 adapter can of course not be usd with SATA harddisks, so it doesnt solve the issue with that.

it could only be an alternative to regular ssds.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 06:37:51 AM »
but you'd think there is a 3.5 to mSATA card? 

OK GREAT NEWS..   i tested this morning removing all of the cards which are as follows:

1.  MOTU 324
2.  SCSI 1 Adaptec
3.  Media 100 Card
4.  Keyspan 4 port card

While I haven't done a complete install, this morning before going to work I booted up the Cheetah 10.0 CD and every single time before removing all the cards the happy mac icon would come up and the color wheel would just spin..  it would search CD like it's booting up and doing stuff but inevitably it would stop at some point and just hang..  but this morning it booted to the installer screen so this is VERY promising that this is what was causing all the hangups.

I just assumed (yea i know) the cards without drivers would be ignored.  However that is clearly not the case. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
but you'd think there is a 3.5 to mSATA card? 

what do you mean by that? formfactor to type conversion? ;)

edit: oh wait, you mean the connector. yes, that does not fit with a regular ATA cable, it is just similar.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:01:28 PM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »
so of course add another 3 dollars for the connector!

the whole thing will still be shorter than a regular 2.5 device.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:47:15 PM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
hm. :)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
bah.. still no luck.. osx just hates my quicksilver.. or my quicksilver hates osx..     

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Hail Mary / PRAM ZAP
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
Hail Mary: ZAP the PRAM
(worth a shot)

PRAM is a type of memory found in Macintosh computers that stores system settings. These settings include display settings (like screen resolution and color depth), the time zone setting, speaker volume, and the startup volume choice. The system settings that are stored in the computer's PRAM differ from Mac to Mac, but the purpose of the memory remains the same.

If your Macintosh is behaving erratically or is not booting up all the way, you may want to try resetting the PRAM. You can reset or "zap" the PRAM on a Mac by pressing and holding the Command, Option, P, and R keys right as you turn the computer on. Yes, there are four keys you need to hold down at the same time. Once your hear the startup chime a third time, the PRAM has been reset and you can release the keys.

As many times as the SSD has been changed around, inside and out… and with various attempted installs and all of those cards left in, maybe its time to ZAP THE PRAM as the QS is really trying to boot now. (Even if you have or have not tried the OS install via the Sawtooth.) Hopefully this will work. If not, you can continue to post here for possibilities and input other than what has already been suggested, or post requested pics for all to examine...

Thanks.