Author Topic: So The Trash File Count Can OverFlow On Mac OS 8.6 (picture)  (Read 2963 times)

Offline alexfree

• Enthusiast Member
So The Trash File Count Can OverFlow On Mac OS 8.6 (picture)
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
After bootstrapping Mac OS 8.6 onto my clamshell using OS X10.2.8, I wanted to delete OS X off the partition. This and some other files all went to the trash. When I went to empty the trash, it told me I had over 31,000 files in the trash that will be deleted. Waiting and watching the file count get lower and lower, at about 400 files left to delete I saw the file count turn negative! It overflowed I’m pretty sure. The file count kept getting lower and lower, it would have gone much lower had I not needed to get these files off the 3GB HDD ASAP and stopped it after the pic.

To fix this, just take some files out of the trash. I successfully deleted about 10,000 files in one go without this bug occurring. Then you can repeat until the trash is completely empty.
Mac Mini G4 early 2005 - 1.42GHZ w/ 1GB RAM - Triple booting Mac OS 9.2.2, Mac OS X 10.3.9 & 10.4.11

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Re: So The Trash File Count Can OverFlow On Mac OS 8.6 (picture)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:53:03 AM »
Interesting. I don't think this happens with 9.2.2.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:44:24 AM »
Yikes I've seen this happen a few times on OS9, usually when deleting OSX directories like .spotlight-v100 etc.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:59:25 AM »
i suspect an "out of application memory" case. finder collects all the paths into a list before the deletion starts. maybe more memory to the finder can solve it?
insert arbitrary signature here