Author Topic: Printers for OS9  (Read 2534 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Printers for OS9
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
Okay, to start do not tell me to run OS X, because I am not going to.

Does anyone know of decent printers that run on OS9 or have OS9 drivers?  I currently have two printers, but neither one can I use with OS9 as they are all post 2010.

If not, what printer would you suggest I begin souring the Net for?
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Printers for OS9
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
Okay, to start do not tell me to run OS X, because I am not going to.
Wouldn't dream of it.
Does anyone know of decent printers that run on OS9 or have OS9 drivers?  I currently have two printers, but neither one can I use with OS9 as they are all post 2010.
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work.
If not, what printer would you suggest I begin souring the Net for?

The basic method to achieve OS9 printing in the 21st century is:

1. Find a printer that is Postscript compatible.
2. Connect to it using the OS9 Laserwriter 8 driver over Ethernet.
3. Print.

Postscript is the secret. It's a generic printer "language" that was/is universally understood.
Depending on the particular make/model of printer, it will yield different results.
While it may not (probably won't) give control over every little cool feature a printer might have, it will print a decent page.

How can you tell if a printer is Postscript - compatible?

It says so on the box…usually.

What if it's used and there's no box?
Read the user manual.

What if it's used and there's no box and no manual?

Hello Google.

How can I do decent Google searches when Classilla won't resolve "HTTPS" anymore in OS9?

Use a newer browser in OSX
Oops, sorry, I forgot. I'm sure you'll find a way.

Offline ctarstar

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:02:42 AM »
Hi, I'm also trying to get a printer working on OS9.2.2. I have an old HP Laserjet 4050 w/ a Jetdirect ethernet card. The jetdirect is reachable from my Mac (I get a response when putting the IP into a browser), but I don't see the printer in the Chooser. Do I need to do anything in particular to make the printer visible to the Mac? I've turned Appletalk 'on' (do I even need Appletalk? Can't OS9 speak IP directly to the printer?) but I don't see the printer.

Any help appreciated. My printer is on the same IP segment as the Mac. I've used an Apple 'Desktop Printer' utility that was included w/ some HP utilities to add an LPR printer w/ the 4050 definition, but I don't know what to do with it. I get a file that looks like a printer, but still nothing in the Chooser.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:52:08 AM »
Hi, I'm also trying to get a printer working on OS9.2.2. I have an old HP Laserjet 4050 w/ a Jetdirect ethernet card.
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/24467-hp-laserjet-utility-v4-5

It is an ignominy how printer producers treat their customers, and that they are unable in the meantime to provide their own drivers. In fact, I suspect them to be unhappy that people are still using printers from 1999 and like to make their usage as complicated as possible. This 4050 printer is still a nice machine and from the heyday of our beloved Operating System. So it works of course with Mac OS 9.

Edit: and here is the english USB driver for the LaserJet 4050 for Mac OS 9: https://download.cnet.com/LaserJet-4050-USB-MAC-Printer-Driver-11-14-2006/3000-2116_4-10538509.html

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 05:21:23 AM »
Best Epson printer for Os 9 - Epson Stylus Color series 600/800 and still Epson has the OS 9 printer drivers on their website for download.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:54:57 AM »
I've turned Appletalk 'on'

Did you turn enable it on both Mac and printer? Not familiar with the 4050, but on a 2300, Appletalk must be enabled on printer too. They might call it a slightly different name...

Offline ctarstar

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanks all! Got this working now. Yes, Ethertalk (etalk) was disabled on the 4050. Also, I had Appletalk set for the Airport port, so I needed to change this to the ethernet on my iMac and the printer showed up right away. I had installed some HP drivers (not the USB ones) earlier - that may have been why the printer definitions were there and available? Not sure - it's possible it would have 'just worked' even without having installed these drivers (which I don't think are really drivers, just fonts and helper apps including a printer utility app)

Thanks again!