Author Topic: Extra spare time (COVID-19): AHCI on G4, was useful to be locked away  (Read 2237 times)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
What is "wrong" with the attached picture?
What is the future of "9" storage?

Having extra time and being locked away sometimes is useful.

The key component is the StarTech PCI-PCIe 1x bridge.
That is a bridge which is made in Taiwan.
It seem to work, but have to do more tests to see, how well it does work.

Under no circumstances buy the Chinese-made similar bridges.
Chinese seem to violate the bridge protocol and all you will get is Kernel Panic.
True, their bridge is usually $10 cheaper.

Quite sad, to say the least.

- I did also see some ALI combo SATA-PATA regular PCI controllers, which have no ROM soldered!
- I did also see 3124-based regular(!!!) PCI controllers which ignore the fact, 3124 needs 5V to operate.
And a 3124-based regular PCI controller is a castrated insanity: few Dollar saving for a major castration.

The biggest problem with COVID-19 and HIV if it immediately and permanently attacks the brain and leaves people in that condition for 70+ years.

My prize goes to FireWire <--> USB converter cable which never-ever-ever works, it's a scam.
But you still can buy it on the fee-Bay.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:38:16 AM by (S)ATAman »

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
Re: Extra spare time (COVID-19): AHCI on G4, was useful to be locked away
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 05:29:19 AM »
The AHCI driver is from Apple, by the way, not me.
The chip on the controller card turned out to be an ASMedia chip, not the Marvell.

All my Marvell controllers are in an other country - which is now locked away.
I am allowed to enter it (have their passport) - but they would lock me away for four weeks the moment they see my eyes.

I can't travel through Czech Republic or through Switzerland - Italy - Slovenia - Croatia either, Austria is closed.

Duh. But in my current condition I don't want to travel anyway - and there is plenty of time to finish other updates.

But just FYI: there is much more to come in coming years.

The bridge, by the way, is from Moser, not PLX. P17C9X to be precise.
What is crazy: Moser has also PCI-X bridges. And the P17C9X is electrically PCIe x2. So they could use the wide connector with the same hardware.

Again, not much can be done if COVID-19 with HIV in team is attacking brains, avoiding respiratory tract and going to sit there for 70+ years.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Extra spare time (COVID-19): AHCI on G4, was useful to be locked away
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »
What is the future of "9" storage?

i repeat: hopefully firewire-800! :)

but a proper working, widely available 4-port SATA-150 or ATAS-133 card would also be great.
insert arbitrary signature here