Author Topic: Possible gold for Mac Community in these here SCSI drives, but hiccup  (Read 2507 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi everyone, so I have this stack of external SCSI hard drives.  Some of them have interesting titles like OS9 backups and OS6-8 backups..  and several other unmarked drives.

They all appear to power up and sound healthy, but when i hook any of them up to my internal Mac PCI SCSI 25pin altec card, none of them appear on the desktop, but I know it's SCSI and not OS level stuff so maybe something else has to be done or program ran?

I have a SCSI program that came with the drivers "domain controller" i think is what it was called or something to that effect..  and that seems to offer various options, not all of them are familiar..    i've used SCSI over the years, I know about termination stuff and I have terminators (or some of the drives have built in on/off terminators built in).

I've never used SCSI drives with Macs (or PC's for that matter) so I feel a little unsure what to expect..   I've used SCSI mostly with Sampler hardware. 

Thanks!
Caleb

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Possible gold for Mac Community in these here SCSI drives, but hiccup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:22:54 AM »
Hi everyone, so I have this stack of external SCSI hard drives.  Some of them have interesting titles like OS9 backups and OS6-8 backups..  and several other unmarked drives.

They all appear to power up and sound healthy, but when i hook any of them up to my internal Mac PCI SCSI 25pin altec card, none of them appear on the desktop, but I know it's SCSI and not OS level stuff so maybe something else has to be done or program ran?

Grab a copy of SCSI Probe ... think maybe version 5.2 ... and see if that won't mount them to the desktop.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
awesome thanks i'll try that! 

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
Mt. Everything is similar to SCSI Probe. Something like that, or even Drive Setup, will enable you to tell if the Mac can actually see the drive (before attempting to mount it).
If the drive is not seen, there is probably a hardware/connection type issue. And if nothing obviously wrong, it is probably not worth spending too much time on.
If the drive can be seen, but not mounted, then a disk repair tool may recover the situation. Disk Warrior, Norton Utilities Disk Doctor, or even Disk First Aid are worth a try.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Mt Everything did the trick!  I was able to read all of the drives..  one was only 80mb and sounded a little rough booting up but did work.. probably not going to last long i would suspect.  i'm posting the backup files i found on three of the drives in the the other thread. 

Thanks!
Caleb