Author Topic: Internet Access on Mac OS 9 Suddenly Really Slow  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
  • Eccentric Electronic Musician
    • Europa's Macintosh Mansion
Internet Access on Mac OS 9 Suddenly Really Slow
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
So I'm having this issue where when I try to load pages on OS 9 using Classilla, it is extremely slow (if the page loads at all, I haven't waited more than five minutes max to find out). Now I know that it won't be as fast as a modern browser, but I could swear it used to be faster. I'm going to the same sites (this site, Macintosh Garden, etc.) and IIRC nothing has changed about my configuration.

Can anyone clue me into what might be the issue?
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio (733 MHz, 1.5 GB RAM)
Mac Mini G4 (1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM)
iBook G3 Dual USB (500MHz, 640MB RAM)

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:
https://soundcloud.com/user-385492180
https://soundcloud.com/europa9

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Internet Access on Mac OS 9 Suddenly Really Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:19:25 PM »
Did you mess around with Javascript? If it was defaulting OFF and now it's ON…
You may have let the Java genie out of the bottle.

Clazzilla may be getting hung on script(s) it can't process.

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 02:08:46 AM »
I'll look into that. I don't remember changing that, but you really never know with me.  :P

EDIT: It looks like I didn't do anything with Javascript or anything else, and it looks like it's loading most sites that I'm trying fine. It loads this site, albeit slowly. It is worth noting that I am running using an AirPort card on a network that is set up as an extension for our main network so we don't have to downgrade the security of our main network to WEP. Upon using WhatRout to ping the main router, it has a 46.2% packet loss. Pinging the access point however results in a 0% packet loss. So my theory is that something is going weird with the access point.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:56:47 AM by Europa »

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 04:01:52 AM »
An MTU mismatch somewhere would give those types of symptoms.

First thing I would do though is get an ethernet cable plugged in!

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 04:11:34 AM »
An MTU mismatch somewhere would give those types of symptoms.

First thing I would do though is get an ethernet cable plugged in!

I wish I could, but my G4 is on a different level of the house from the access point.

How would I go about looking for an MTU mismatch and how would I fix it?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
It is worth noting that I am running using an AirPort card on a network that is set up as an extension for our main network so we don't have to downgrade the security of our main network to WEP. Upon using WhatRout to ping the main router, it has a 46.2% packet loss. Pinging the access point however results in a 0% packet loss. So my theory is that something is going weird with the access point.
I wish I could, but my G4 is on a different level of the house from the access point.
The odds appear very high that your secondary network is the problem.
Since you're not a full-time IT tech with a toolbox full of analytical equipment, you may just have to get a little exercise and drag that computer downstairs.
WiFi is great when it works. When it doesn't, it's a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. Even more of a pain for someone who's not even there. You gave a vague clue in the beginning: "Now I know that it won't be as fast as a modern browser, but I could swear it used to be faster"
I have no way to tell what that actually means - only a educated guess that it probably sucked before and sucks more now.

90% of the time, troubleshooting is simple process of elimination.
Drag the computer to the router. Hardwire it. See how well it works. If it still crawls, you have a software problem.  If it suddenly flies right along, add in the secondary router-or-whatever-it-is that you added and try it at very short range. It it now works, you have a WiFi range problem. Check the antenna connections in the G4. Try again further away on the same level of the house. See how far you get before it slows down.
See where I'm going?

If it turns out to be a range problem, consider a different kind of bridge. An often-used reliable solution that also happens to avoid the WEP issue is a Ethernet-over-AC wiring pair. One goes at the computer and plugs into the Ethernet jack avoiding Airport completely. The other goes at the main router. Your data is sent right over the house wiring. It surprisingly cheap and it works. There is really no good reason to have a desktop computer operating over Airport to begin with unless it just happens to fall together with NO problems and works well. That train left the station years ago. You're already way behind having to set up another entire network because of security issues. The two wireless systems may well be interfering with each other and slowing down everything in the house more than you realize too.

Google "Ethernet over AC" or similar.

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »
Ok, thanks! I'll add those tests to my list of test to run when I get time to troubleshoot it :D

Offline old_man_bubs

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »
This may be completely out of left field, but have you recently purchased and installed a radio, a microwave, or some other device that emits radio frequencies? Laws and regulations have resulted in only a certain band of radio frequencies being allowed for use by the general public. As a result, many things occupy the same space (namely, microwaves and WiFi). You could be getting some sort of interference.

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »
I forgot to update this, haven't I? >.>

It turned out there was some bad ethernet cabling between the router and the access point. I replaced that and now it runs like a dream :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »
I forgot to update this, haven't I? >.>

It turned out there was some bad ethernet cabling between the router and the access point. I replaced that and now it runs like a dream :)

I'll tell you a secret:

80% of the time, it's something just that simple.

Meanwhile, IT guys are running around acting like it's rocket science and only they can possibly do the advanced high-tech diagnostics and surgery required to keep this "magic" shit working and that's why they make the big bucks.

60 years ago, your black & white television would take a dump. You would call your favorite, friendly in-home TV serviceman (everybody had one) and make an appointment for a service call, usually at his convenience.

You had NO other choice because the damn thing weighed 80-100 lbs. and wouldn't fit in your car anyway.

The guy would show up, looking very educated and wizard-like. He would then take the back off of the TV, and begin some sophisticated–sounding fiddling around while making little "tch tch" noises and such. You couldn't even see what he was doing because he had only pulled the TV far enough away from the wall to get behind it. Now remember, all TVs had a whole bunch of vacuum tubes living inside. What he was mainly doing was looking for a tube that wasn't lit up like it should be. Then he would dig in his great big box that was essentially a giant tackle box full of tubes. It usually had an RCA or Zenith or similar logo on the sides and was very professional–looking. He would then swap a new one in for the bad one and voilá ! Suddenly the TV would work again. He would then go around the front, look at the picture, go "tch, tch" some more, then go back and replace a few more tubes, whether it needed them or not (usually not) while making mysterious "adjustments" that, as noted before, you couldn't actually see him making.

After spending just enough time to justify his minimum service charge, he'd write a bill, take your money, tell you "call me anytime" and leave with a big smile on his face. Well, of course he was smiling. You would be too. That was it…80-90% of the time. If it actually turned out to be one of the very few with a REAL problem he couldn't begin to diagnose, he would…… wait for it…… say those dreaded nine words: "Sorry, I'll have to take it into the shop." In the shop there was a guy who actually did know enough to be able read a manufacturer's service manual (and bulletins…LOTS of bulletins) to do a real repair when necessary. NOW, you were really depressed. No TV! That was the equivalent then of being told: "Sorry, the internet's down" now! No phone, no TV, no computer, no nothing for who knows how long?

In 60 years, only the shape of the equipment has changed… the operating principle remains exactly the same…

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 04:57:29 AM »
I'll tell you a secret:

80% of the time, it's something just that simple.

Exactly. This as well as your anecdote are why I refuse to take my computer to  a repair shop unless it is something I cannot diagnose myself (I have never had to do that because the computers that have had those issues would cost more to repair than what they were worth in the first place).