Author Topic: AcBel PSU / Quicksilver  (Read 3946 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
AcBel PSU / Quicksilver
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
This shows the position of the cheapo-TEAPO caps to be replaced on the main board.
One of the C13 / 16 / 29 caps tested fail - the others were less than optimum.
Best to simply replace ‘em all while it’s apart.

This does not show the TEAPO cap (or other caps) to also be replaced on the sub-board.
Shown here:

See this thread for more info:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5341
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:36:44 PM by Knezzen »
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: AcBel PSU / Quicksilver
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:04:27 AM »
Excellent FdB!!! ;D

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
Excellent FdB!!! ;D

Yup ... completely awesome ... and saved for future reference ...  ;D

Offline gert79

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 01:29:28 PM »
This is some great info as I am about to replace caps on my G4 QS Acbel supply.

Does anybody know what happened to the thread linked here, I only get a 404 error.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 01:37:09 PM »
Does anybody know what happened to the thread linked here, I only get a 404 error.

I fixed it, should work now :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 01:41:32 PM »
... umm, thought I had it bookmarked -
but now can't find any bookmarks since the transition. :o

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 01:43:04 PM »
... umm, thought I had it bookmarked -
but now can't find any bookmarks since the transition. :o

There's probably something I missed setting. Let's see.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline gert79

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 01:45:45 PM »
Thank you Knezzen!

Offline alphaTECH

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 01:42:01 PM »
Is this the same layout for an 800 MHz single processor Quicksilver?

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 02:44:08 PM »
Best perhaps to open your PSU and compare - OR simply check your PSU’s case label.
The PSU photographed here (above) is an AcBel, API1PC12. APPLE P/N: 614-0157.

And of the four different Quicksilvers here, three have the same AcBel PSU
while only one has a Delta Electronics PSU: DPS-340AB A, APPLE P/N: 614-0158.

Offline gert79

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 01:14:01 AM »
Mine is actually AcBel 614-0146 AP10PC24, i will check if this guide is compatible with mine (or just go and replace all cheap green caps).

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 06:36:11 AM »
>API1PC12. APPLE P/N: 614-0157
For interest I found this in a QS 800

>API0PC24
And this in a QS 9333
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:32:07 AM by ovalking »

Offline gert79

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 07:03:32 AM »
Mine is a QS933 and has the API0PC24, yes, but i don't know if it was changed since previous owner did some botch on it.

As far as i have gathered, these should be interchangeable (QS):

AcBel
661-2513
661-2514
614-0146 (AP10PC24)
614-0157 (API1PC12)

Delta
614-0158

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 07:14:23 PM »
apple even managed to put two different processors into the same model and ID of those quicksilver 933.

it is all still better than with all other manufacturers, but you can never trust in all parts always to be exactly the same.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 01:48:43 PM »
Surprised by the many different PSU AcBel IDs and Apple P/N numbers reported here. Is this a consequence of many different worldwide sales region / origins - or were there minor changes to each throughout the range and manufacture dates of the various P/Ns? @gert79 and @ alphaTECH may provide us with pictures of any different PSU configurations once theirs are opened.

The AcBels here note 344W Max output while the Delta PSU notes 355W Maximium output.

I wonder just how many (total 2001 & 2002) Quicksilvers were produced & sold worldwide?
("Titan" and "Nichrome".)

Offline gert79

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 05:37:19 AM »
So i started disassembling my QS PSU and indeed the circuit board is already very different from the one shown here above.

For now i am only planning to change the TEAPO caps. Does anybody know which components i could change preventively, now that i have it open?

In the course of disassembly i also made a photo documentation, as i will have to replace the "white glue", one coil is even completely loose.

Also i don't know how the fan control actually works, maybe i will leave that pcb and just place a load resistor instead of the fan, and then opt for a "silent" fan with proper PWM control and temperature sensor. But this will be a longer project, gradually updating the QS tower to be more silent and powerful as usual.

Opening that PSU is not fun and should only be approached if you have certain skills, so as of now i do not plan to share my photos to the internets.
(Also i don't plan to refurb and sell PSUs as a side job, i only need two PSUs for myself to have a reliable power source at any time.)

Note: A downsized and slightly cropped image file copy [View 2.png] is provided below to better facilitate complete on-screen viewing. -FdB
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:42:33 AM by FdB »

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 11:33:46 AM »
So I pulled my AcBel 614-0157 QS PSU today as I've been getting some erratic behaviour after swapping in a 9200 gfx card, I noticed one of the caps is slightly bulging. Is this a candidate for replacing all five on the PSU board?

I've never done cap replacements before but have done a bit of soldering and modding. What brand am I looking at for replacements? Nichicon / Panasonic?

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 12:58:10 PM »
Thanks Jacques. Nice pics. A bit on the large size for those with smaller screens but quite clear.

And yes that one bulged capacitor is a definite candidate for replacement. And that might be all that’s necessary. Yet being the glutton for punishment that I am, while in there, I’d replace all of the Teapos. However if you would prefer to get “in and out” quickly, replace only the one. And depending on your preference and just how long you intend to keep that machine running, choose capacitors of your own preference. (Many will steadfastly recommend one brand over another, but do your own research and choosing here.) I have even used NTE brand capacitors, simply because they were readily available.

AND before even attempting a re-cap:

1. Research how to fully discharge capacitors before proceeding. You can get a very serious charge from those (especially the larger ones) that may electrocute you.

2. Did the erratic behavior with the 9200 gfx card NOT manifest itself with your previous card? Maybe  the demands of the 9200 are too great for the PSU in its’ current condition (as you suspect). So I guess the question is, do you really need to go with the 9200 when your previous card might have been acceptable?

3. If you do decide to replace capacitors, pay close attention to the positive and negative legs of the capacitors on the PCB. It’s quite easy to swap them and not discover this until afterwards.

4. Have you closely inspected the 9200 gfx card for any possible problems with it? Did it, or has it worked without problems in any other machine? I've had to replace capacitors on 9200 gfx cards themselves, before.

*And follow, don’t follow any of the above suggestions at your own risk.

There is a very trusted source for refurbishing PSUs on eBay that’s well known to members here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/141543772231? He also offers ATX PSU adapter cables if you might be interested in that option. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133346393458? AND if you contact him directly and mention that you’re a member of MacOS9Lives, he has offered us discounts in the past. [email protected] (Andy Cuffe)

I don’t doubt that you’re capable. Just wanted to make you aware of some other possibilities & options.
It can be extremely frustrating to go through an entire recap only to find that it didn't work. (This does happen.)
And I don't think that Andy accepts PSUs that have been previously "violated". ;)

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 12:32:51 AM »
Thank you for the pointers. I think I’m going to order all five replacement caps, take it apart and see how I get on, starting with the clearly bulging one.

I’ve had five different gpu’s in this machine, original 2 MX card (no issues), ATI 9000 and three various ATI 9200 cards. All the ATI cards result in the same weirdness, more so if I plug in a non-powered KVM usb. I suspect the PSU so will start with the caps. This machine used to run a full AVID boardset, it’s just the AGP slot card swapping causing issues.

Offline indibil

• Enthusiast Member
  • I'm crazy, I know.
    • rosysumenteinquieta
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:52:48 PM »
Hello.

I have a QS 800MHz that when you press the button, it starts and stops. I have dismantled the power supply and bridged the green cable with the black one, and when I connected it the same thing happened. The source is AcBel 614-0157 QS PSU like the one @Jacques shows.

So I followed the tutorial.

None are swollen. C10 gives a correct value. C13, C16 and C29 of 2000uF give me a value of 3300uF and about 3-4ohm of resistance. When it seems strange, I replaced them.

The power supply was very clean.

After replacing them the problem persists, exactly the same. The fan control daughter board has few capacitors. Today I will try to check and replace some more, but I am afraid that my power supply has another problem.