Author Topic: g4 400 agp gray screen  (Read 2434 times)

Offline cube10025

• Newcomer
g4 400 agp gray screen
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:41:20 AM »
Trying to install os9 but get gray screen, computer seems to boot but screen locked in gray. OsX boots fine.
Tried all kinds of whys and cds, just stuck in gray mode, it has worked before.

Something happen the last time I installed osx and updated to 10.4.11. Has apple released some kind of firmware that breaks os9? But then reset pram should work?

I have a voodoo 2 card that I removed since osx cant run it. But os9 dont boot with or without voodoo 2 now.

Maybe my ati card has broken, ant ides?

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: g4 400 agp gray screen
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »
Trying to install os9 but get gray screen, computer seems to boot but screen locked in gray. OsX boots fine.
Tried all kinds of whys and cds, just stuck in gray mode, it has worked before.

Something happen the last time I installed osx and updated to 10.4.11. Has apple released some kind of firmware that breaks os9? But then reset pram should work?

I have a voodoo 2 card that I removed since osx cant run it. But os9 dont boot with or without voodoo 2 now.

Maybe my ati card has broken, ant ides?

What ATI card do you have?

OEM Rage128?

Would you consider selling the voodoo2?

Sometimes you can get some weird nvram issues booting between OS 9/X, may try resetting the NVRAM, then option booting to the boot picker and selecting the OS, then resetting the Startup Disc once the OS is booted.

Offline cube10025

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
Its a ATI Rage Pro 16mb.

Yes reset pram and nvram.

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

Option boot get stuck on the selecting screen when booting os9

Os 9 actually boots its just the screen that is gray, I can hear the duck sound when finished booting.
I can not understand why osx runs just fine but not os9. It is odd!!!

Offline cube10025

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »
Got it to work, took a ati rage pci card from my g3, and now os9 boots. So its something wrong with the agp port or the card itself, but then why do osx work!?