Author Topic: Is it possible to restore Utilities, Apple Extras, etc. to root in 9.2.2?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline mmarkklar

• Newcomer
Prior to installing 9.1, the Apple Extras folder and Utilities folder are stored in the root level of the drive, but they get moved into Applications when you install 9.1 or later to prepare for OS X.  I have no intention of installing OS X on this computer (OS X just feels wrong on clamshell iBooks) so I was wondering, is there any way move everything back and still get the fancy icon?  I tried copying the icon and pasting after moving the folder to root, but it didn’t seem to work.  I also seem to be unable to rename “Applications (Mac OS 9)” back to just “Applications”

Basically I want the software compatibility of 9.2 to run applications from the transition that need Carbon while retaining the aesthetics of older versions.  Is this possible?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Is it possible to restore Utilities, Apple Extras, etc. to root in 9.2.2?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
You should be able to do what you want.
I have System Folder / Apple Extras / Applications / Utilities folders all at the top level, and with appropriate icons.
This tends to be a do once and forget operation, so I don't recall any issues.
I hate the way Apple has messed with this and used that untidy 'Applications (Mac OS 9)' label. I quickly trash it.
I will accept giving an OS control over the structure of a system folder, but I want control of everything else!

Some application installers will recreate that stupid Applications (Mac OS 9) folder, so you tidy up again.

Anyway, for copying icons, you have to do a File:Get Info on an icon, click the icon, copy it, then do a Get Info on the destination, click the icon, and paste.

Offline mmarkklar

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »
Huh when I tried that earlier, it didn’t work. I tried it again and the icon copy and paste worked. Thanks a lot!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
I hate the way Apple has messed with this and used that untidy 'Applications (Mac OS 9)' label. I quickly trash it.
I will accept giving an OS control over the structure of a system folder, but I want control of everything else!

absolutely.

the worst idea was to put originals into the apple menu (like the "chooser"). i have better places for that. :)

I also seem to be unable to rename “Applications (Mac OS 9)” back to just “Applications”

after you moved it, you will be able to rename it.

on my machines this folder belongs to the things i always delete.
insert arbitrary signature here