Author Topic: Latest Casualty ...  (Read 22797 times)

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Latest Casualty ...
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »
Tiger CDs are finished.

Jumpered Pin 5 to GND on both PSU's while they were plugged in and nada ... which gives me some reassurance that I won't be sending out working PSU's to be repaired when they're actually functional.

Reinstalled the following cards into the 9600:

Wired4DVD card (I have the card but no drivers or software for it, at least that I can find - anyone have any insights ?)

ProMax TurboMax ATA66 card (rubber feet drive mounting brackets are due in tomorrow so I can double stack a pair of PATA drives on the front floor of the 9600 and still have all the PCI slots available)

Farallon 10/100 NIC (anybody have favorite for a Gigabit NIC that works under both OS 9 and X ?)

ADS Technologies FireWire 400 card

Adaptec 4-port USB 2.0 card

It almost feels modern ...  ;D

Had a closer look at that power board for the Samsung display ... there's at least 3 or 4 caps that are pretty swollen.

If I can find a sponge for the soldering iron I might take a crack at removing them yet tonight.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
Jumpered Pin 5 to GND on both PSU's while they were plugged in and nada ... which gives me some reassurance that I won't be sending out working PSU's to be repaired when they're actually functional.

I wouldn't test any switched mode PSU without the load attached, whatever internet "experts" say..

https://superuser.com/questions/552574/turning-on-atx-power-supply-with-no-load
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 10:51:31 PM »
I wouldn't test any switched mode PSU without the load attached, whatever internet "experts" say..

https://superuser.com/questions/552574/turning-on-atx-power-supply-with-no-load

Yeah ... internet "experts" ... lol ...

It's certainly true that there are lots of very knowledgable and highly trained individuals out there ... and others that don't have a clue, but are certain they do. The disadvantage that ignorant folks like myself are at, is that you can't always tell them apart easily.

Had Apple chosen to adhere to the ATX standard, I probably would have been safe to plug it into this and been good to go:

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2020, 12:48:31 AM »
sorry if this sounds ignorant, but shouldnt one just see which capacitor is broken? and then replace it? (or all of them?) no need to measure anything.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:29 AM »
sorry if this sounds ignorant, but shouldnt one just see which capacitor is broken? and then replace it? (or all of them?) no need to measure anything.

IIO,

The attached image is of the power board from my Samsung display.

Which caps on it are broken and need to be replaced ?

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »
For the most part, it is fairly easy to remove and replace the (well-known) poor quality TEAPO capacitors (and any other suspect, swollen, domed or leaking caps) once you get the hang of it. The smaller, lime-green ones on the AcBel “sub-board” (mentioned above by ssp3) might not be quite as easy - BUT if the computer has exhibited the “failure” symptoms as described above… those smaller caps on that board might as well be replaced while everything is disassembled.

The capacitors themselves cannot be tested in-circuit (while on board) without an ESR tester / meter [or other suitable device(s) / LCR bridge?] and this would represent an added cost that would likely exceed Andy’s cost of repair, coupled with the cost of all the needed replacement capacitors. SO, unless you’ve many PSU’s to repair or replace / or you intend to offer this as a questionably lucrative service to others… the purchase of an ESR meter (etc.) adds an increased cost when you could just remove and replace the suspected BAD capacitors… which has worked for me previously. No guarantees implied. May not always work but worth a shot for minor cost.

Again, Andy’s fees are very reasonable.

I’m certainly no expert and I continue to learn as I go, but that’s just me. Besides, I’ve enough G4’s here to keep me busy until my own MTBeforeF and I probably should invest in an ESR meter. Others with a similar curiosity and the will to try… and to possibly learn as they go - might attempt the shotgun (scatter-gun) approach of simply removing and replacing most of the caps (and especially the TEAPOs). Replacement capacitors themselves are very inexpensive - all things considered.

The AcBel PSU that we've been discussing here did not power its’ fan when I got it. Instead of repairing or re-capping the PSU then, I powered the fan with an external power source wired directly to the fan because the PSU still powered everything else just fine (for well over a year)… until that too failed. I then simply installed another working PSU (thanks to darthnVader) and put the failed one “on the shelf” until GorfTheChosen began his quest here and I thought it might be time to attempt a tandem repair effort.

So, should Mr. Gorf choose not to proceed and instead opt to send his PSU’s to Andy (who has offered great prices for his services btw) this AcBel PSU will probably just go back onto the shelf until later. BUT, we’ve already learned a bit about those other tiny caps on that sub-board in this little adventure, thanks to ssp3. As for “not powering up a switched mode PSU without a load attached”… again I am definitely no expert - but the MDD’s PSU didn’t seem to mind this previously, nor did this QS AcBel PSU. So, do or don’t… it’s up to you. YMMV / Proceed entirely at your own risk.

*Note: The MDD’s PSU still had its’ fans attached in-circuit so there was a “load” present during jumpering. The AcBel’s PSU fan was not - as that circuit was incomplete or non-functional. Power testing at that fan connector on that sub-board (with the PSU power jumpered) provided a voltage reading that simply was there at first and then quickly bled off to zero volts. It still powered the QS (after that jumpering) for a well over a year before eventual total failure of the PSU.

"No user serviceable parts inside."

Might be willing to friendly wager that I could remove the AcBel sub-board and then replace it without damaging the “main PSU”.
(The location of C216 might actually necessitate this.) Here’s the sub-board for the Delta PSU.

Much more open and easier access than the AcBel - but much smaller caps.
And it has a hard-post-soldered config to the main board using 19 base solder points.
The AcBel sub-board has a pin-in-socket config, held in place only by the “white goop” on the backside.
(Maybe a thorough cleaning of the pins and the sockets might be in order?)

Addendum:

I lied.

AcBel sub-board has 15 legs soldered to the main board (actually only 12 of them are soldered). Used ChipQuik SMD 291 spread with a toothpick on each solder point and then several 1/4” cuts of expanded solder wick - clamped in hemostats for better pinpoint control for each point to remove solder. Took some time but no problems. White goop removal / carefully using X-Acto #17 (flat squared blade) and a #11 (normal angled blade) to final, careful cut under bottom seal of sub-board. I did not heat these blades.

AND I had noticed what appeared to be burn or heat-related darkening here (see yellow dot). Might also note burned-look on top of C216. Shirley (don’t call me…) the loose leg and that possible intermittent connection would have definitely caused some possible damage over time? AND now, might be a bit easier to access & replace the five, domed TEAPO caps on the main board… as well as removing and testing the much smaller caps off of the sub-board… before ordering new ones.

Positive (+) legs for the caps on the sub-board are clearly marked on that board… & now have this pic for future reference if necessary. Should be much easier to solder sub-board back than it was to remove it.

IF I continue with this effort, I’ll post images of the solder points for the cap replacements on both the main board and the sub-board. (Unless someone beats me to this.) ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:32:08 PM by FdB »
This Must Be The Place

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
Great stuff FdB ... thanks.

The Borg order was delivered a little bit ago, with the 625 piece assortment of heatshrink tubing and I can now happily report that the Linksys Gigabit switch is off the bench, "repaired", and is currently ungoing testing.

After cleaning up the tip on the ECG I think I'll stay with that one for a while ... didn't look to bad to me, and I really don't I've used it all that much.

Time maybe to take a stab at some cap removal on the Samsung board.

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
Would have been a little easier had the pins been left straight and not been bent over on the backside of the board.

It will be interesting to see if it comes back ... after I get done carving on it ...  ;D

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
New hard drive brackets installed.

They fit together well enough that you can pick both up by just grabbing the top one ... not that I'd recommend it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
Which caps on it are broken and need to be replaced ?

ouh.

yes, when you recap a mixing console you also replace just all of them^^

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2020, 12:46:41 PM »
The capacitors themselves cannot be tested in-circuit (while on board) without an ESR tester

so you need to test them to find out what they are? because it is not printed onto them?

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
... Again, Andy’s fees are very reasonable. ...

I thought so ... to the point that the PSU's are now on their way to him.

It's not that I have no desire to learn or am unwilling to undertake the project, as much as I have other things on my plate at this point ... and I want both of those machines back up and running asap.

If you feel so inclined, I'd be quite happy for you to continue to post your PSU rebuild progress in this thread - it would be a good resource for myself and others I'm sure (I still have power board for the Samsung to do, as well as the PSU for the 8100, plus the PSU for the 9600 has never been pulled and cleaned ... so when I get around to that, I might just go ahead and recap it if it looks like it might need it)

Of course you may have other fish to fry yourself so to speak ... in any event, I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share what you have thus far. I feel like I learned a lot ... while also feeling that I've just started to scratch the surface and still have a long, long ways to go.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:14:38 PM by GorfTheChosen »

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »
I've gotten six caps off so far - probably could stand to have a slightly more powerful soldering iron:

Four CapXon 820uF25v C716 GL105C

Two CapXon 330uF25v P714 GL105C

I'm assuming (without bothering to check) the first set of digits in each item is the capacitance/voltage rating ... in microfarads and volts ?

The second set of digits is possibly a part number or some industry standard number ?

And that the last set of digits in each item above is some kind of duty rating/standard/spec.

This is the kit I was going to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HKIMGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AYGPIL1HDJBP1&psc=1

The seller is LCD Alternatives (been on The Borg since 2011) and supposedly they "only use the highest quality Panasonic, Nichicon and Rubycon capacitors" in their kits ... and they seem to be pretty well rated (Zero 1 or 2 star ratings, 75% 5 star)

Going to Digi is like trying to navigate a maze ... they offer so many different brands, etc.

I punched in what I assumed were the part numbers above and got back a number of items which didn't necessarily match exactly (either capacitance or voltage was different, sometimes both)

Do I need an exact match to the specs ... or would say a 820uF cap with a voltage rating of 30v be fine ?

OTOH, an advantage of going Digi is they have those really snappy looking Hakko nippers with the red handled soft Comfort Grips ;D:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/american-hakko-products-inc/CHP-170/1691-1037-ND/6228793

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:44 PM »
CapXon 820uF25v C716 GL105C
CapXon = Manufacturer
820uF = capacitance, in this case 820 microfarads. You can use slightly higher value (1000uF) if that's what's available.
25v = maximum operating voltage, higher rating is OK, you can use 35V, 40V, 50V, 63V etc.
C716 = date or batch code, irrelevant.
GL = probably series name
105C = maximum operating temperature in degrees Celsius

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HKIMGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AYGPIL1HDJBP1&psc=1
It's up to you whether to purchase from them or not. The page does not specify what brand you will get. It could be Panasonic, it could be Nichicon, it could be Rubycon or any mixture of the above. Each of these manufacturers have zillions of various series - UC, UFC, FC, ZL, ZX, ZLX.. The page does not specify that either.
I personally have no respect for the so called kit sellers. Those guys are usually there only to make quick buck. They buy surplus in quantities and then make a kits with whatever they have at hand.
Also, I've seen a lot of fake Rubycon caps lately in all sorts of budget recording gear, especially in Golden Age Neve and Urei clones, so beware.

Here's one example of G5 cap kit:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18916
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:38:34 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2020, 11:47:57 PM »
CapXon 820uF25v C716 GL105C
CapXon = Manufacturer
820uF = capacitance, in this case 820 microfarads. You can use slightly higher value (1000uF) if that's what's available.
25v = maximum operating voltage, higher rating is OK, you can use 35V, 40V, 50V, 63V etc.

Thanks - that clears up a few things.

It's up to you whether to purchase from them or not.

Of course.

The page does not specify what brand you will get. It could be Panasonic, it could be Nichicon, it could be Rubycon or any mixture of the above. Each of these manufacturers have zillions of various series - UC, UFC, FC, ZL, ZX, ZLX.. The page does not specify that either.
I personally have no respect for the so called kit sellers. Those guys are usually there only to make quick buck. They buy surplus in quantities and then make a kits with whatever they have at hand.
Also, I've seen a lot of fake Rubycon caps lately in all sorts of budget recording gear, especially in Golden Age Neve and Urei clones, so beware.

Good to know.

The things folks will do to make a buck (smdh) ... had no idea no prevalent this apparently is.

Yeah, no ... if I'm going to go to the trouble to do it I don't want to put junk back in it.

Here's one example of G5 cap kit:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18916

Ahhh ... badcaps.net ... I saw a mention of that in one of FdB's earlier posts in another thread ... had it on my list to check it out ... hadn't made it there yet tho' ...

Thanks for linking to it.

Interestingly enough, this Topcat fellow has a mobo cap kit available for that PC I've been trying to get W2K to install on - MSI 694D Pro Version 1.0 ... might do something for the flakiness on the CPU v_cores ...

I assume he/they might be an exception to your outlook on kit sellers.

Thanks for the insights ...  8)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
Yay Andy!

Not everyone has the time nor the luxury of slowly approaching these tasks - or the choice of simply putting them “back on the shelf” until later. And anytime someone here sends a project to Andy, it’s a very good thing indeed for this rogue OS 9 community.

As it’s also very good to keep Andy busy and “at it” going forward into the future as a highly-valued source for all of us rogues.

Even though best quality capacitors are available from possibly more reputable sources - $14.00 cap kits (from the Borg) for a Samsung monitor, hopefully might not be a bad place to start. It’s much easier to disassemble and access that Samsung monitor for trials and the basic beginning experience - as opposed to say… undertaking the necessary learning curve when ordering caps from Digi or Mouser… OR jumping right into a Quicksilvers’ PSU repairs.

If the Samsung monitor doesn’t work after the intial effort, or it possibly requires additional “surgery” after that first attempt… well, it’s easy enough to reopen the case, inspect and possibly correct what might be wrong and then try, try again. (Not as easy or nearly as much fun doing this with a PSU right out of the proverbial gate.) Ha-ha.

It’s the old “crawl before you walk” (learning along the way)… before one then possibly “hastens the pace“ and begins running.

The underlying (and un-stated) credo here is “help whenever you can”
…and not the tired old “I know something that you don’t know” routine.

Very good stuff from ssp3: (He's thankfully making such things a habit.) :)

CapXon = Manufacturer

And you are correct, I’ve other fish to fry (gives a quick, raised-eyebrow, side-eye glance towards a very stubborn 1973 Pignose amplifier). This QS PSU goes back on the shelf until later, but I shall return. Ya might also take an accounting (pics?) of your PSU interior to compare with what Andy actually changes in order to repair it - and post ‘em here in the thread. I’ll do the same when anything else develops here.

I’m still learning and hopefully, will continue to do so.

Now I gotta go explain to IIO that all caps contain a combination of crushed unicorn-horn dust with some added pixie dust… that can’t be accurately measured for function while the cap is still soldered to the PCB. Or I could simply ask him if he’s looked under his bed lately? http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4503.msg32228.html#msg32228

Sometimes one simply must laugh. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
how did you figure that i was only joking?

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »
Yay Andy!

Not everyone has the time nor the luxury of slowly approaching these tasks - or the choice of simply putting them “back on the shelf” until later. And anytime someone here sends a project to Andy, it’s a very good thing indeed for this rogue OS 9 community.

As it’s also very good to keep Andy busy and “at it” going forward into the future as a highly-valued source for all of us rogues.

It would seem so ... I'll let you know for certain ... once I get my PSU's back and they are working again.

Even though best quality capacitors are available from possibly more reputable sources - $14.00 cap kits (from the Borg) for a Samsung monitor, hopefully might not be a bad place to start. It’s much easier to disassemble and access that Samsung monitor for trials and the basic beginning experience - as opposed to say… undertaking the necessary learning curve when ordering caps from Digi or Mouser… OR jumping right into a Quicksilvers’ PSU repairs.

That's kind of how I saw it. Doing these types of repairs is a little more involved than just hack-soldering a couple of random wires together for the kid's toy ... you're working on something which has other components on it, in close proximity to what you're trying to replace.

It is outside of my field of previous experience ... and I'm pretty sure that there is "something to know" in order to be competent at doing it. I'd guess that I can probably master that competency ... but there's no way I assume that I possess it right now ... or even know the right questions to ask to get on the path towards it.

If the Samsung monitor doesn’t work after the intial effort, or it possibly requires additional “surgery” after that first attempt… well, it’s easy enough to reopen the case, inspect and possibly correct what might be wrong and then try, try again. (Not as easy or nearly as much fun doing this with a PSU right out of the proverbial gate.) Ha-ha.

Yup ... ;)

One thing I've noticed (goes back to what you said about my ECG iron - that I might need "a little more") is that the tip doesn't seem to be getting hot enough to melt the cap connections on the board. So I've been kinda laying it over on it's side, at a point slightly up from very end in contact with the joint I'm trying to decouple. That necessarily puts more of the tip in close proximity to other parts of the board ... which I'm not sure is a bad thing or not. Seems to me, that one should have enough heat to rapidly melt the joint ... before the rest of the PCB gets heated up. Has me a little nervous.

It’s the old “crawl before you walk” (learning along the way)… before one then possibly “hastens the pace“ and begins running.

Exactly.

The underlying (and un-stated) credo here is “help whenever you can” …and not the tired old “I know something that you don’t know” routine.

Seems like that should be a workable premise.

Very good stuff from ssp3: (He's thankfully making such things a habit.) :)

CapXon = Manufacturer

And you are correct, I’ve other fish to fry (gives a quick, raised-eyebrow, side-eye glance towards a very stubborn 1973 Pignose amplifier). This QS PSU goes back on the shelf until later, but I shall return. Ya might also take an accounting (pics?) of your PSU interior to compare with what Andy actually changes in order to repair it - and post ‘em here in the thread. I’ll do the same when anything else develops here.

Yeah ... the PSU's are already gone so ... I will post some pics after I get them back and a report if he provides any info as to what he did.

I’m still learning and hopefully, will continue to do so.

Every. Single. Day.

Now I gotta go explain to IIO that all caps contain a combination of crushed unicorn-horn dust with some added pixie dust… that can’t be accurately measured for function while the cap is still soldered to the PCB. Or I could simply ask him if he’s looked under his bed lately? http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4503.msg32228.html#msg32228

Sometimes one simply must laugh. ;)

LOL ...  ;D

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2020, 12:02:26 AM »
Word is the PSU's are finished and should ship out tomorrow ... later today.

Still working on getting the Power Mac 9600/350 Sonnet G4/450 sorted out ... pulled four 64MB sticks of TechWorks RAM which was built out many smaller (low-density ?) chips. What remains in the system are all 128MB DIMMs made with higher density chips. More overnight memory testing ... hoping for a Zero Error Count when I get down there in the morning.

System has been booting fine with a variety of cards in it, all slots filled:

IMS Twin Turbo video card
Wired4DVD MPEG Decoder Card
ProMax ATA66 IDE Adapter
Farallon 10/100 NIC
Adaptec 4000 4-port USB 2.0 card
StarTech 10/100/1000 NIC (doesn't work under OS 9 but is supposed to work under OS X)
CompUSA USB/FireWire card (2 ports USB/3 ports Firewire)
Some variety/brand of SiL3124 SATA Adapter (doesn't see any drives under OS 9)

Have not tried the SCSI cards again.

Still having issues burning to either a Sony Spressa CD-RW (SCSI) or a Pioneer DVR-106 (Firewire, via a ADS external case) ... gets into the burn and it just freezes the cursor. Same deal when doing file xfers on the local net using Fetch and a Farallon 10/100 NIC forced to 100Mb Full or Half Duplex. Using the built-in Ethernet works fine ... it's just slow as molasses on a cold January day. Should probably pull that newly "resurrected" Gigabit switch out of the chain and see if that makes any difference. Might not be quite as resurrected as I thought ...

Seems like anything that really CPU-intensive makes it choke. I have a second Sonnet "Rev. A" G4/450 CPU card that I could throw in there ... given these things are 20 years old at this point I should probably consider revisiting the thermal pads/paste on them.

I did manage to do a 3.7GB backup to DDS tape with Retro of the boot drive.

And then install the OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updaters successfully using OS 9 Helper.

Interesting how some things seem to go without a hitch while others just seem to sort of implode ...  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:38:01 AM by GorfTheChosen »

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »
Making some progress ...

I am now able to make large file xfers (>500MB) over the LAN here at 100Mb Full Duplex speeds via FTP using Fetch. Tested it successfully a couple of times just to make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke.

The key to achieving this minor miracle was disabling the Sonnet Processor extension and using PowerLogix's Cache Control (v. 1.3) instead, and probably more specifically, checking the "Disable Speculative Access" checkbox.

I suspect it may solve the issues I've been having using Toast to burn to optical media. Gonna test that next.

Sadly, it appears that the original Iomega Zip 100 in the 9600 was destroyed last last when I stuck a disk in it that turned out to be bad ... although I suspect I'll be the only one shedding any tears ...  ::)