Author Topic: Lazy MDD?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Lazy MDD?
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
So I recently picked up another MDD... it came loaded with 4 drives, one of which has 10.5.6 on it. I put in a SSD-120 OWC drive ('used'... that I acquired somewhere along the way) attached through an IDE adapter.

The adapter looks like it has only 2 jumper settings... jumper on=master... jumper off=slave. I've left the jumper on as I want to use it as my boot drive.

Using Target Disc mode I "ASR'd"  a clone of my QS-933 onto the ssd (with OS9.2.2 of coarse ;D)

Here's where the lazy behavior comes in... When I boot it up I get the flashing ? for @ 23 seconds before it decides to fire up with OS9, after which it behaves normally.

Questions:

1) Is the delayed boot due to having OSX on the other drive?
    a) Same result using Option key to select boot drive

2) Could the 'used' ssd have something funky goin' on?

3) Adapter... I bought a few of these adapters... they don't have the 2 tall capacitors sticking up but maybe that's the culprit??

4) Drive placement/cable connector... I have the boot ssd in the drive cage closest to the side of MDD case and the secondary drive (with OS X) closest to the motherboard. I believe this puts the ssd on the gray colored connector and the other on the black. I'm sure they are different colored for a reason... Am I using the correct connector/drive placement? 

Any other thoughts??

Thanks

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Lazy MDD?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
Avoid Master/Slave jumpers if you can. Try to put all drives in "cable select"
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »
would guess the same for this symptome.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:36:18 PM »
I had the same problem in my MDD before I went back to the QuickSilver - my MDD won't sleep under OS9...

The MDD was much more picky compared to the QuickSilver, but I'm fairly sure I moved the same setup over

ATA 66 Bus (or closest to the Airport card on the Quicksilver):
  • Seagate Barracuda 250GB - Cable Select
  • CD/DVD Drive - Cable Select

ATA 100 Bus (or closest to the PCI slots on the QuickSilver)
  • Seagate Barracuda 200GB - Master
  • Western Digital Green 2TB (with SATA > IDE adapter) - Slave

I believe with this setup I can select the WD drive to boot from and there is no delay. Any other configuration would result in a delay, or drives not mounting.

Alternative Setup
Here's another setup that worked in my MDD with two drives using SATA > IDE converters (SSD and a modern DVD drive). I can't remember whether there were delays with this setup but I remember it being a nightmare getting two of the adapters working and the MDD.

ATA 66 Bus:
  • DVD drive (with SATA > IDE adapter) - Master
  • HDD - Cable Select

ATA 100 Bus (or closest to the PCI slots on the QuickSilver)
  • SSD - Slave
  • HDD - Master

Hopefully this helps