Author Topic: need to extract the information from "uptodate" CDs from 1995-2001 for Mac OS 9  (Read 6556 times)

Offline sepmaccas

Hi
I have 6 CDs labelled "uptodate". They are medical CDs. I need to extract the information from them. We have installed "sheepshaver" and an application that allows us to read them. But we need to find a way to extract the information from each CD.

When we insert some CDs they come with "CD-R Access tm Reader"

Can anyone help us?

Kind Regards

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
OS9 normally would mount and show anything it can mount, even if the format is wrong.

are you sure it used to run under OS9 back in the days?

maybe it is an XA or kodak format or it has 840 mb and your CD drive doesnt support that.

as soon as it mounts, you should be able to just drag the CD symbol onto the "unix" folder  - and it will end up in user/documents/ in the host OS.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline sepmaccas

Hi
Thank you for your help.
Some of the CDs come up and the "uptodate" showing uptodate as the name of the cd. The rest of them come up as "cd-r access reader". And one of them says Capacity 2.1MB but available 3.4 MB. How does that make sense?
do you think the ones that dont say uptodate are empty?

I really would appreciate any help.
Kind Regards

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
if it is more than one i wouldnt expect that they are broken (due to scratches or years of direct sunlight.)

i am not sure if it will help, but you could try adding joliet volume access to the system (it is an extensiosn and you need to restart sheepshaver), maybe there is some autostart application on the mac volume and another windows volume which only wants to mount together with that. (and which also wouldnt mount in windows despite it is a windows partition - i have seen that before)

joliet is free and still available from its author, like it should be. the serial number is linked from the site.

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

otherwise... try to get access to an old mac machine if you can... not everything works in emulation...

Offline sepmaccas

Hi
Thank you so much for your help.
Is there any chance I can call you or whattsapp call you?
I am happy to pay for your time if you are able to help in anyway. I have downloaded what you suggested but I do not know how to run it.
If I could have some support over the phone I would be happy to pay for it via paypal.

Kind Regards
Sep

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
i am not firm enough with sheepshaver, there are better candidates here for that.

could you unstuff the archive? i am not sure if that works with the emulator OS9. if it works, you will find "unstuff" in the contextmenu when you click on the file.

if it doestn work, i will add the files to the forum tomorrow.

then, in OS9, you can install such system add-ons simply by dragging them onto the system folder and they will automatically go in the right place.

Offline sepmaccas

Hi
Please can you add the files to the forum?
And also can you give me a bit more guidance on what I need to do. I spent the whole day yesterday playing with it but I was not able to do it.

I have even got PowerBook 6.7 G4 and I have tried on that I did not able to do it. I would really appreciate it if you can help me.

Kind Regards

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Try Astarte CD Copy to read the CDs and, if needed, to make images of those CDs. Then maybe someone can look at images and identify the file system used. Astate will copy almost anything. Just google for it.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.