Author Topic: Errors in Cloned Mac Os 9.2 partition  (Read 2327 times)

Offline kasuja773

• Newcomer
Errors in Cloned Mac Os 9.2 partition
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:41:16 AM »
Hi,

Last month i made a fresh installation of Mac Os 9.2 on my Powerbook Pismo and i installed all my applications like Peak 3.21 and other games.

Now i cloned the partition to my new-to-me Powermac G4 933Mhz. At first boot the system made a rebuild of the desktop.

Unfortunately when i lounch a program i have often have a macintosh error. What can i do as well as to make a new fresh installation of the Os?

Thank you?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Errors in Cloned Mac Os 9.2 partition
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:57:35 AM »
ReInstall the Cubase Instant DAW with Mac OS 9 from scratch and after that drag your Programs/extensions/controls panels only if they are more modern (I am 99% they arent newer).

What programs do you need? Most probably all the installer are here, in the garden or in the repository
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:59:34 AM »
Last Peak is included there
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »
it is theoretically possible but not 100% perfect to use the OS from a powerbook in a QS 933. it might cause some minor problems with energy saver, desktop, monitor control.

the "generic OS 9.2.2" image is what you want. (the "instant DAW" and the OS9 for unsupported" will also work)

for (very) different types of machines i would always redo all the controlpanel settings in a fresh OS, then copy the application preferences over from the old system. (while you are on it, apply a label color to all of the OS9 items in / preferences before you add your applications files)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline kasuja773

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 05:09:16 AM »
for (very) different types of machines i would always redo all the controlpanel settings in a fresh OS, then copy the application preferences over from the old system. (while you are on it, apply a label color to all of the OS9 items in / preferences before you add your applications files)
Thank you for the advice. I'll try this!

Some applications tell me: 'Macintosh Error -5699 Calling NavGetFile for open...'

Offline TheJimmyJames

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:02:31 PM »
It's always best to do a fresh install on a different Mac. There are differences in the extensions and control panels needed for each Mac, and the installer will place the correct system software on the drive for that Macintosh. Copying a system over from another Mac can result in errors like yours.