Author Topic: lets talk about RAM  (Read 3505 times)

macStuff

lets talk about RAM
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
just wondering what you guy think about replacing older RAM with new/unused RAM
ive read online that RAM can just "go bad" all on  its own
for instance right now im having a computer that was solid + stable as a rock for the last 8 years
all of a sudden is now crashing + freezing alot;

i replaced the RAM just now and now its again stable; (i think, lol)
i dont really have any rational explanation as to how the ram would have gone bad?

has this happened to anyone else with any of your desktops?

any chance it could be related to dust/dirt buildup?

do you think its a good idea to replace ram every 4-6 years as a preventative practice? any of you do this as a habit to avoid problems?

ill add that the "Bad" ram seems to pass every memory test i can test it with.. its really strange

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: lets talk about RAM
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
I have a MDD that refuses to work in Leopard, but that could also be a symptoms of a bad drive or corrupted PRAM...

It works mostly stable on Panther and Mac OS9.

2 GBytes of RAM could be the issue on that machine too.

Untill I get time and a bunch of drives to be discarted from my intel machines I cant make more tests on that machine.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

macStuff

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 03:19:32 PM »
im trying to debate whether or not its worth it to replace my ram with new/unused if i actually want stability + performance

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/apple-power-mac-g4-mirrored-drive-doors-2003-1-25ghz/memory

the price isnt exactly breaking the bank these days @ 7.99$

i wonder if this stock is re-used, or new/unused

surprised the sdram is twice the cost!
https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/apple-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics-sawtooth-450mhz-1999/memory

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
I have a MDD that refuses to work in Leopard, but that could also be a symptoms of a bad drive or corrupted PRAM...

It works mostly stable on Panther and Mac OS9.

2 GBytes of RAM could be the issue on that machine too.

Untill I get time and a bunch of drives to be discarted from my intel machines I cant make more tests on that machine.
I can only presume (I'm tired of assuming) that you mean you can't install leopard on it. That's normal. The Leopard installer will reject installation on 2Gb. Leopard is a memory hog by G4 standards.

My MDD with 4Gb runs it OK BUT I do keep a RAM manager in the menu bar and I do need to use it occasionally to reclaim memory being held by inactive processes.

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
ive never had 4gb in an MDD? the most ive had installed is 2gb? im pretty sure the documentation for  the mdd states that 2GB is the max

point im trying to make:
i dont think the leopard installer would purposely stop you from installing for only having 2gb of ram, being that the documented max for the machine is 2gb.

im just about to pull out my MDD (1.25 2003 model) for the first time in years and install an RME PCI card to test the drivers;
RME + MOTU + Edirol/Roland always seem to have the best driver support

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Sure, why not install new RAM? It’s definitely inexpensive enough now for the G4s. Besides, if you remember paying full price for it way-back-when… you can now buy all brand-new and feel like a big spender. Cheap thrills!

As far as dust & dirt… there’s always that scheduled yearly blow-down (and nobody scream) a very light, soft toothbrush with alcohol. (gasp!)

Haven’t killed a chip yet.  ::)
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:29 PM »
I can only presume (I'm tired of assuming) that you mean you can't install leopard on it. That's normal. The Leopard installer will reject installation on 2Gb.

My MDD with 4Gb runs it OK

the minimum RAM for leopard is 512 mb and the maximum RAM you can put in a G4 is 2gb.

i can only assume, but with that experience you made you probably tried to install windows 10 on a G5 - that wont work.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:42:04 PM »
MY bad. I was doubling everything. MDD max IS 2Gb, which at least does make my point even more pertinent: You really NEED a memory controller if you rum leopard on it.

This is an example of the fog of the internet, and what I was referring to in that Firewire 410 mess yesterday. You type and type, move from thread to thread, from site to site and pretty soon you're lucky to just remember your own name. Then you say one little slightly off-the-wall thing and suddenly you're the bad guy… or just the dummy…

It must therefore be that the Leopard Installer on the original retail DVD will refuse to install on 1Mb or less.
I am virtually certain I remember this from years ago.
HOWEVER
I am NOT going to yank RAM out of my computer and try it just to verify that.
Anybody else (Chris?) who wants to is welcome to.

macStuff

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:02:21 AM »
the MDD will support 1gb PC2700-3200 DDR module, but even if u put 4 x 1gb DDR into it it will only be able to make use of 2gb
i discovered that back in the day when i had a strange memory config of 1x1gb, 1x512mb, 2x256mb and still gave me 2gb

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:36 AM »
the Leopard Installer on the original retail DVD will refuse to install on 1Mb or less.

maybe you should quickly correct that statement before IIO sees it and cant resist to correct it with his own assumptions. :D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:05:46 PM »
the Leopard Installer on the original retail DVD will refuse to install on 1Mb or less.

maybe you should quickly correct that statement before IIO sees it and cant resist to correct it with his own assumptions. :D

Knock yourself out dude. That's how I remember it. You wanna prove me wrong? Go for it.

Of course I also remember having sex with Madonna in 1987. Was it just a dream? I don't think so and no one can prove I didn't.

macStuff

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
heres an article that details how to bypass ram requirements of installng 10.5
http://web.archive.org/web/20071102090946/http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071026083746346
it mentions processor requirements aswell

also heres the apple official document that states 512mb
https://support.apple.com/zh-cn/HT2226

if anyone has any other experiences to share re: RAM spontaneously going bad + causing problems please share

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
You wanna prove me wrong? Go for it.

no, that is too boring.

it is not even possible to installl less than 1mb RAM in a computer which can boot OSX. ;) even more impossible than installing 4tb.

and in case you meant 1gb (of course you do), well, not that i would trust apple much(!) ... but when apple says its 512 it is probably 512.

it is pointless to discuss that, because it doesnt help to find out about the issue PTGuy sees.