Author Topic: Cannot Burn OS 9.1 CD... Please Help  (Read 1736 times)

Offline tommacman

• Newcomer
Cannot Burn OS 9.1 CD... Please Help
« on: January 17, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
This may not be the right place to post this but here goes:

I am a NEW member and have a PowerPC 7200/120 running OS 8.1 with 80 MB RAM and a 1.2 GB internal SCSI Drive. I also have a 2 GB multi-partitioned external SCSI drive. OS 8.1 resides on the internal drive with one partition on the external drive for a backup copy. A second partition runs OS 8.6 that I got from Mac OS 9 Lives. I have one remaining partition on the external drive for OS 9.1 (the highest my 7200 can go).

I have no internet access on the 7200 so I had to download to my Mac Pro (Late 2010 model) and used Suffit Expander to decode the image file. I used Toast 10 Titanium PRO (since it can still burn files in HFS/HFS+ formats) to burn the CD and installed it onto the 7200 from the CD.

When I tried to do the same download/burn CD/install for OS 9.1 I ran into a brick wall. Following the same process as OS 8.6 resulted in Toast "Unexpectedly Quitting". I tried several blank CDs in case it was a bad disk - no luck. I then tried downloading several more copies of the OS 9.1 image file in case something was dropped/corrupted during the download process - again to no avail. Now I am stuck and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Cannot Burn OS 9.1 CD... Please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:15:40 PM »
No status update? News?
This Must Be The Place

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Cannot Burn OS 9.1 CD... Please Help
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:02:43 AM »
Have you tried Disk Utility? That is always preferred to Toast for burning boot images on Intel. In fact, the only version of Toast I would ever recommend for burning MacOS7-9 images is 5.x as it has an inbuilt check for making those discs bootable and I have found it to be very reliable even in cases where Disk Utility produced a coaster. This check was lost from Toast 6 onwards as Roxio went OSX only.