Author Topic: M-audio 410 AGAIN  (Read 11088 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: M-audio 410 AGAIN
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
I will try tomorrow if my Audiophile FW (that I bought for my GHz PowerBook 17) still works on 9 (It worked with a FW 800 to 400 cable) after been run on Lion+Yosemite+Win10

I remember that just after the install in Mac OS 9 I tryed an FW Solo (That works with the same drivers since Panther IIRC) and wasnt recognized as a Solo.

I hope to bring more light to the subject soon.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2020, 10:47:16 PM »
At this point, all I would ask is for everybody PLEASE don't start yet another Forum War over this and also please don't add further assumptions or "I think I remember"s or "I used to have one and I think it maybe"s.
They're NOT helpful and only serve to further frustrate and confuse the issue.

At some point (and that point may be very near indeed) it will be time to just chuck the entire subject because the collective time & effort expended has yielded ZERO. We seem to be no closer to solving this than we were 5 years ago. With everything everyone has put into this, by now we could have pooled our loose change, found an ex-M-Audio programmer and gotten the damn extension re-written…

I'm just sayin'  8)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »
Well said Gary...Just in case I would like to apologise for Community (and Chris particularly) since I didn't have intension to start any wars, just I  wanted  to keep this thread informative and assumption-free.We are walking fossils here, trying to revive a 20 years old systems,  which are a Stone Age in terms of modern computer enterprise. For me it's just an opposite- a good example that modern DAW didn't move much further since 2002. It's all about bells and whistles, not a real movement.Besides running OS9 we should feel ourselves younger.
Now about driver:
Version 1.0. is "alpha" You can read it at control panel. 1.0.4 is different because they incorporated all installers in on universal, called M-audio FW. First version was called 410 installer or something. Word "alpha" disappeared. You can easily check by yourself. What it means:
They all were released after OS9 was pronounced dead by Holy Steven, true manipulator, so legally they were not obliged to support OS9 development. Someone can believe that they could not release non-working drivers. Well they could and most likely they did. Even if a firmware theory is correct, it doesn't cancel a fact that M-audio was always CHEAP in all means. It possibly means also that they simply abandoned drivers on beta-stage.
As I said for me personally it's more about curiosity, not a desperate need. My real Pro tools rig is a 24/ 2" multitrack. But...could be nice to have a thing working. I bought mine for 35 euros, and it's pretty much what I am willing to spend for a digital audio anyway. another 40 for a MDD which was a 2000 price tag in 2000
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:57:58 AM by Andre Solomko »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
To be a classic means you have to keep it as it is. No mods, no swing with modern OSes

If I use my  FW AP after been booted on Lion and Yosemite and Win 10, our loved Mac OS 9 looks sad at the floor telling:

"What have you done me? What did I do to you to try a newer OS?

Divorce!!

Go with that young OS !! Someone will still appreciate me !!!"
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2020, 12:35:43 PM »
Card works almost flawless on panther ....

I tried to reboot to panther with the FW 800/400 cable still conected and didnt want to boot...

I had to disconnect the cable
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
I had to use another configuration for the tests about the FW AP

A FW 800 to 400 cable as DieHard told us.

That config worked last year but after updating to latest Win 10 and MacTell have screwed the chance to run Mac OS 9 on it
 again.

So, it seems Chriss is right. Running it in modern OS updates firmware and the card refuses to work again in Mac OS 9.

I speculate that I could still run it in OS9 after a guy sold to me. He used that in Win Xp so maybe Win XP drivers still doesnt modernize the firmware.

I runned the card for some days with Logic 6.xx on OS 9 with the PB, and installed all drivers after that on Panther+Tiger+Leo.

Cant remember if after all those PowerPC installs I could still use it in 9. But I guess It worked at that time.

From experience I can tell you that my focusrite LS56 loose the chance to be connected to PowerPC after a try in Yosemite or WIn 64. Those OS updated the firmware and had to contact to the folks of focusrite to send a firmware downgrader.

That had to be run on 10.6 and that of course happended when all my hackintosh were corrupted and at a time I had to choose if I went Win 7/8 64 or keep using 10.6... So I bought another drive to try another hackintosh attempt. To summarize 2 months without my main DAW.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »
Well, looks like original install discs might become a premium item.
If one can figure out how to downgrade firmware... or wipe it...
and then re-install the old?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2020, 02:51:53 PM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2976.0.html
Right below this thread in another where idea of firmware was first pronounced. Also someone reported a success here but strangely disappeared. Actually ProToolsLEs experiment is not very scientific, but I maybe wrong.
1. Audiophile and 410 are different cards, and it also means they might have a different power consumption.
2. Can you tell more about first screenshot, taken from OS9? It looks like a crazy meter thing to me. Besides driver is 1.0 and last one is universal driver 1.0.4
3. I  can easily swap between intel Hackintosh  and  and PPC Tiger machines (MDD) so it means at least that firmware upgrade does not rely  on architecture.
3. Works fine on Panther (I have a triple-boot) with driver 1.8.2
So we need 410 owners input and for  not any other for now

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »
Well, looks like original install discs might become a premium item.

on the CD  is nothing more than on the online installer.

it is a very bad habit of many hw vendors not to give you an "original firmware reinstaller app" (at as least as windows app) for a product.

given that the midiman firewire cards came out 2002 - when OS9 as well as OSX were both used on the same machine by many people - it sounds like a joke that the later firmware destroys the OS9 compatibilty. and i dont remember now... but i have heard about some other products with similar problems.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:54:00 PM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 04:52:33 AM »
does anyone have a copy of the original driver cd? (photo attached)

My driver CD looks very different it is orange white. Left text: Driver cd, down text: M-Audio (and W and M, in circles)
But that driver doesn't help for that firmware problem. File on CD is "Firewire 410 v1.0.1 build3"

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
I have the “original driver cd” (FireWire Series Driver Software version 110504) and the M-Audio Driver CD version 120803.  I’ve attached photos and the list of OS9 drivers on each CD.

CD 120803 is available in the Audio/MIDI Interface Drivers board (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?board=180.0), listed as “M-Audio Anthology (Complete Set of all M-Audio Drivers & Utilities for Mac OS)” as is the M-Audio Firewire 410 v1.0.1 (Build 3) driver that’s contained on the CD. 

I’m checking with DieHard to see if it’s possible to make the entire 110504 CD available in the Audio/MIDI Interface Drivers board.

I recently purchased an FW410 the eBay seller described as “never connected to a computer,” but when I tried to use it with OS9, I got the usual symptoms of the OS X firmware update (crazy meters, empty firmware and bootloader fields on the About tab, etc.).  The seller is a 2nd hand store operator, and I doubt if he knows the history of the unit. The 110504 CD was included with the unit, which I’ll send back to the seller under his 30 day return policy.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize the photos of the CDs were so large!  I couldn't find a way to replace them with smaller versions.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:41:55 PM by Mardeec »