Author Topic: Need an icon + JPG for "PROMotion" or should it be "ePROMotion"? Or other name?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
An icon for a flash utility called "PROMotion", "EPROMotion", "EEPROMotion".
If not "PROMotion" than I am open towards any other name.

For instance, Asterix or Russian theme is preferred but it is not obligatorix.

And I need an icon.

In exchange there will be is an updated flash utility for 3124 with new driver, bugfixes and updated port multiplier support (driver + FCode).
Supported OS: at least from Tiger to Catalina, but well possible Jaguar to Catalina.

Timeframe: the coming weekend, it's largely done, not tested under Jaguar yet and while can code-sign, have to update the notarization for Catalina.
The next step would be the SIM for 9.x

There is no protection in any form.
Will try to reduce the ROM footprint, but no PROMise  ;D because the last 4 bytes of the ROM image (before 512K ends) are used for PCI ID purpose.
For instance building the (fake) Software-RAID ROM needs a different ID.

My proposal: forget the unsupported Silicon Image fake RAID, buy 100% supported SoftRAID (for "X") or ask them for a "9" copy.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
btw. raid mode is really not that important for OS9 (or for any G4 - not even for 64-bit PCI G4)

spanning is useless anyway, and in the future people will more and more use SSDs in G4s, so it is also not about speed either.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
Thanks, verified - the build under Jaguar does work (almost).
I won't really force Puma ( 10.1.5 ), even Jaguar ( 10.2.8 ) is very immature OS-X version.

The current problem is that Drive Identify information I was using is very much outdated.
After the update (will use the latest one Microsoft is using) Jaguar should be fine.

With notarization Catalina should be fine.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
Thanks, verified - the build under Jaguar does work (almost).
I won't really force Puma ( 10.1.5 ), even Jaguar ( 10.2.8 ) is very immature OS-X version.

The current problem is that Drive Identify information I was using is very much outdated.
After the update (will use the latest one Microsoft is using) Jaguar should be fine.

With notarization Catalina should be fine.

Jaguar was never targeted before now.
Do not know what kind of crazy idea did hit me to support Jaguar - but it worked out.
Catalina - notarization worked out at the third attempt

One interesting detail is the time-stamp. There will be never the same time-stamp in the Jaguar / Puma build than in the rest because they build separately, with a separate build script on a separate computer (G4 MDD under 10.2.8 instead of "trash can" under 10.13.6 with Snow Leopard Server in Parallels emulation).

I don't see any way to change that and will try to minimize the necessity of extra ROM flashing.

Калинка Katalinka Catalina is a fugg'n witch very moody lady and I refuse to take her seriously for a while.
There is not a single thing she knows better, than High Sierra. Catalina is a very important milestone in macOS history because while it did not fix the lack of MSI-X interrupt support, it introduced the mood and screen changes according the time of the day, crucially important for driver developer work.

For instance, when I work in the middle of the night and everyone is asleep, looking at the Catalina screen of the target machine I can feel like evil dark Darth Vader Yoda.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
it introduced the mood and screen changes according the time of the day, crucially important for driver developer work.

yeah, or for anything else for that matter. :D

btw, in 1997 i created a completely dark grey colorscheme hack for my cubase 4 - in addition to a kaleidoscope scheme of the same fashion. so my whole workspace looked basically like my website did (or actually the other way round: http://vst-mac.info)

then apple took us the resourcefork and schemes, then the law made it illegal to change apps.

then apple took us the appearance manager and its themes and finally an easy way to edit finder and program menu entries and keyboard commands.

while in 10.4 you could help yourself with shapeshifter to give OSX a proper look, with 10.5 apple has destroyed the market for unsanities APE stuff - but at least you could still hack the OS to change some graphics. later that has been taken away from us, too.

then, in 2011 they created an iOS with a "new" "dark mode" because, so they say, it would look better than the aqa or metal shit.

only 8 years later this revolutionary new technology now made it into macOS!

i couldnt be happier!

with MacOS 9, that is.

one rant a day... keeps the doctor away... la la la