Author Topic: G4 Cube to HDMI 32" wide monitor?  (Read 4831 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
G4 Cube to HDMI 32" wide monitor?
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
I have a Cube that I upgraded a decade ago or so, pulled it out today and it boots fine using VGA and a Dell 17" monitor. All my ADC monitors bit the dust, so I was thinking that VGA to HDMI cables are cheap, and I have my LG widescreen  34WL500-B 34" IPS LED UltraWide FHD which I use my Mac Pro for, as well as a Windows 7 box and even a WIndows 98 box.

So I am wondering: with the ATI 7500 this has, would a VGA to HDMI cable be enough to put the Cube using that monitor too? I have the available HDMI port.  I could in theory use one of the DVI-ADC adapters Apple made (I have two) and then the DVI to HDMI cable I already have, but that is way too much cabling and mass for my small desk.

I would love to see my Cube back in action, I hate the 17" Dell monitor (has scratches on the screen it is so old).

Cube:  1.25G4  1.5GB RAM. 200GB HDD, ATI 7500 card.  And yes a case fan.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline beal0001

• Newcomer
Re: G4 Cube to HDMI 32" wide monitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:13:20 AM »
I saw no one replied to your question...so here I go with my first post. My Cube has its original Rage 128 Pro, and I connect it to an LG 27" 4k monitor with a VGA to HDMI cable with audio and video usb, connecting usb to one of my 1.1 ports. My monitor size to set to 1600x1200 and I use the original ratio so I have narrow black bars on the sides, but I sometimes go wide and fill entire screen. So I would think there should be no problem connecting to a 32" monitor. My best to you.

Offline tuxedojack

• Newcomer
Re: G4 Cube to HDMI 32" wide monitor?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »
I swapped in a Radeon 7000 into my Cube, and until I get some sort of upscaler, I'm going to be using one of these Insignia VGA-to-HDMI adapters to plug it into my 43" TV / monitor.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-vga-to-hdmi-adapter-white/6418344.p?skuId=6418344