Author Topic: any OS9 compatible interface controllers for Digital Performer 3?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
hi there, I have this cool device I really like but it's only compatible with OSX.  Its a Frontier Tranzport.  However it doesn't appear to have OS9 drivers which is a damn shame.  Does anyone know if there might be something older that would support OS9 out there?  I love the Tranzport.  Works great with ableton and such..   Just want to hunt for something that would have OS9 drivers.  I'm reaching out to Tranzport support to see if they might have legacy drivers maybe.. but i know it's most likely not going to be the case. 

I also have a BCF2000 but that's also a bit newer and while I know it supports MIDI, I don't think MIDI can be used to control the DAW interface itself to the best of my knowledge.  From what I have researched this device has a usb port but the behringer drivers do not support OS9. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: any OS9 compatible interface controllers for Digital Performer 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
the BCF should work in OS9, and you can use it as DAW-remote at least in cubase and nuendo. i cant remember: i think you are supposed to put it in HUI-compatible mode.

the usb port might not be supported, but there are enough good reasons to prefer MIDI over usb anyway.

regarding IOs, there are several posts here in the forum with compatible devices. if you are a DP user, you might want to go with a motu interface?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:14:17 PM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
awesome that's great to hear.  i'll dig deeper on the BCF2000..  i mostly got it with the intention of using it with two of my synths, but i'm still figuring out how that would work exactly..   it seems like a midi device could work, but i wasn't sure if midi being used outside of the actual tracks (notes, ccs, sysex) could be effectively listened too by the software itself or if it might get confused..  especially if i'm trying to use the same BCF to control my DW8000 or K3m..   

I'll check around the forum for sure some more.  I tried googling and general product hunting this morning and wasn't finding much.. really anything!   m-audio didn't have anything..   the tranzport i hope might work but i'm skeptical since it's USB only..   probably came out in early OSX days. 

I've had no luck googling "MOTU interfaces" or "controllers"  they seem to all result in actual digital recording i/o devices.. but it seems like they would and did have devices like this in OS9 days. 

Thanks!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
not sure about transport, but things like sliders, mute, eq, will work in cubase and it is also possible to switch to the next 8 channels without too much hassle. you can also use more than one, additional BCFs have to be configured as hui XT.

to switch to a program which sends midi CCs to a plug-in you would have to it turn off as "remote" in the host program.

i have a custom patch for it for cubase (but it will be useless in DP)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 05:13:13 AM »
Wow that's cool.  Yea i'm all DP3 for now, but I must admit, being Ableton Live 8 user, realizing there was (unless i am mistaken) an OS9 version of ableton out there somewhere.  I like ableton and a lite/older version probably still has the core things I like about 8..  maybe just less whistles and bells.

I would also not mind trying out Cubebase VST as well.  I had a poor experience with VST back in the day..  didn't come back again until Cubase SX came out..  found it much more intuitive at the time..  but i knew so much less about MIDI / DAW stuff back then.   

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 05:47:48 AM »
midi connectivity is not one of the strengths of live in OS9.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 06:15:59 AM »
well what i liked mainly about ableton was the easy way to learn CC controller knobs and sliders..  even Cubase SX felt clunky in that department..  maybe the learn feature came later.   I saw in another thread on here specifically about OS9 controllers (nice, but still

Also I hunted around in DP3 this morning before rushing to work and couldn't seem to find the drop down list i remember, but i think i'm thinking of ableton live 8 now..   but i did find the midi controller option in DP3, but it was a simple "add" button meaning i guess i need to have the hardware and drivers installed before dp3 is going to see anything.. which makes sense enough..  but doesn't help me effectively find a list of what devices to look for.

I know some exist out there, but i'm kinda hoping to find something obsolete / useless to most..  something that might only have drivers for OS9 and older windows..  something that would be tough to get working with modern hardware and OS. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
in cubase it is a bit weird, too, but what is good is that the "remote" stuff is in a small floating window so that you can change settings with 1-2 clicks.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
that's cool, do you know if its tough / difficult to get MOTU hardware (2408 + MTP AVx2 + MIDI Express) to talk to cubase or ableton?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
no, as long as a device supports ASIO and OMS it will work with the majority of semiprofessional music applications.