Author Topic: Pro Tools closing upon launch  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Pro Tools closing upon launch
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
For some reason PT loads the app, then closes it when I launch it for the first time after booting. After that it loads without closing. Why is this?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Pro Tools closing upon launch
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
I had that happen with an app in OS8 or 9. It was because of shutting down without first quitting the app.
For some reason, it wasn't completing tidying up it's stuff or something like that before the computer was powered off, so when booted back up, it would just take up where it left off in the quit process.
Could that be what's happening to you? If so, it just means you have to quit PT and allow it time before shutting down.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
Nosiree, it happens 100% of the time on my system. I always quit PT properly. I think I fixed it one time by trashing the prefs but it came back to haunt me. I'll try again tomorrow and see how I fare.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
I eventually just accepted that it was going to do this. I trashed the Prefs again and it's still here to haunt me. After loading PT closes immediately, and as soon as I relaunch it works fine. Not sure what's going on here.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
I forgot to update everyone on this. It was OMS. Trashed my OMS prefs and it's fine now.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
Thanks for the update! I remember that happing to me a few years back but couldn't remember how it got resolved. ;D

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
One thing I noticed is that when I get the thing where PT quits and I have to relaunch it, simply re-saving the OMS preferences doesn't help. I remember going in there, editing some new synths I got and re-saved that same file, but it kept making PT quit. When I finally just trashed the OMS prefs altogether, it started working again. I guess something in the OMS prefs gets corrupted so actually trashing it instead of saving a new copy is all that works.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:53:33 AM »
I routinely trash all the preferences to keep PT running smoothly and that seems to help.