Author Topic: AHCI and PCI Express in G4?  (Read 3539 times)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
AHCI and PCI Express in G4?
« on: December 15, 2019, 07:18:09 AM »
Not as crazy as it sounds - if that riser card works:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/323742256506

The price is good. Bridging PCI-X to PCIe is not new - but the adaptors had price pulled out from skies.
This adaptor is affordable.

If anyone is local and can convince the seller to try one out would be great.
Having one or two PCI-e 4-lane would be a winner idea because leading the PCIe lanes from inside to outside is a smaller problem.

Drivers and SIMs is also a smaller problem ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: AHCI and PCI Express in G4?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:47:01 AM »
interesting design. how would you put a card into your computer with that?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:04:47 AM »
My bad, won't work: the voltage is different. :(

Apple needs 5V (at least the G4 MDD, just checked it), this one is a 3.3V card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
I ordered this one to test with AHCI - but it is the most idiotic card you can imagine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ST42-PXE8112-PCI-to-2-5Gbps-PCI-Express-1-0-PCI-X-Bridge-32Bit-Adapter-Card-NEW/123980983565

Typical for fee-Bay idiots: the idea is good, the execution is poor.

The chip is PLX 8112.
But they could use PLX 8114 instead.
And get 4 PCIe lanes instead of one.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/pcie-switches-bridges/pcie-bridges/pex8114

Why use a bad design and compete with each other selling for $19.95 versus $24.98?

Just make a similar board with PLX 8114 and sell it for $40 even.

BTW: never understood the ideas behind 39.98 Euro / $19.95 or CHF 24.99. If you going to buy something small and pink at Victoria's Secret - OK.
But if you going to buy a SAS controller or a PLX switch board - than you probably can figure out, CHF 24.99 is just "Fünfundzwanzig Fränkli", EUR 39.98 is nothing, but "Vierzig Euronen" and $19.95 is merely "Twenty Buckeros Americanos Verdes". These prices is an offense if you have more, that two years of math education.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »
I just (re)found my old PLX8114 development board.
Unfortunately it is a "forward" design (from PCIe to PCI-X, see the attached photos - private SkyPe conversations blacked out).

I am looking for the same thing, just "reverse": from PCI-X to PCI-e.
I got this board at the time G5 was introduced, so the PCI-e to PCI-X was more important.

The board can host four PCI-X cards, the PCIe connector has a ribbon (not on the image) to be inserted into the PCIe slot of the "victim" computer.

The four PCI-X cards next to each other do look funny.

The tea glass with the logo of Ukrainian Railways is a red herring, I am not in Ukraine.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
The tea glass with the logo of Ukrainian Railways is a red herring, I am not in Ukraine.

The way it works is twofold:

1) There was a garage sale in Cupertino, up in the Bubb Road where posh people live.
My wife went there and found a glass holder, with a "50RBL" and "Berioska" sign.
It was only a holder and the color of the entire thing was suspicious to her. The sale was $1, so she grabbed it.
After she returned I reminded her, the "Berioska" (of course, she knew what it used to be) was a chain of hard-currency-only stores in Soviet Union.
And "50RBL" was not the common people's currency, but "foreign currency equivalent", that means, the cup holder's price used to be about $70 in 1980's Dollars.
The color was grayish and behold, there was a "probe" stamp on the metal.
I told her that if next time she finds the same thing in yellowish color and the price is $2, it's still OK to buy it.

2) The glass is an other challenge because it is impossible to buy it. So if you happen to be on the train, just approach the Chief Conductor and ask him politely, how much you should pay if you break it by accident. Than you agree with him that you broke the glass "by accident" and pay the agreed penalty.

We have Amtrak stuff, too... pretty much the same way. On Russian Railway they just sell this kind of stuff straight, so you pull out your credit card.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »
hihi, wen interessiert wie was in fränkli ausschaut

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
Es gibt einige ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »
Es gibt einige ;)
Es ist ja fast genau, wie ein Dollar, bloß plus/minus einige Cents. AHCI Adapter ist aber noch immer nicht da. Wenn er ankommt, werden wir sehen. SIM habe ich in SeriTek für PCIe nie gehabt weil ja auch es nicht notwendig war. Auch FCode nicht (Marvell 88SE923x geht mit G5 Quad / Dual PCIe nicht). Ob mit PCIe <--> PCI Brücke im G4 geht: werden wir sehen!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »
It's almost exactly like a dollar, just plus or minus a few cents. AHCI adapter is still not there. When he arrives we will see. I never had SIM in SeriTek for PCIe because it wasn't necessary. Neither does FCode (Marvell 88SE923x does not work with G5 Quad / Dual PCIe). We'll see if PCIe <--> PCI bridge works in the G4!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
(for all those PCIe card with OS9 drivers ^^)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 04:49:31 PM »
It's almost exactly like a dollar, just plus or minus a few cents. AHCI adapter is still not there. When he arrives we will see. I never had SIM in SeriTek for PCIe because it wasn't necessary. Neither does FCode (Marvell 88SE923x does not work with G5 Quad / Dual PCIe). We'll see if PCIe <--> PCI bridge works in the G4!

First the simplest task: get a better video for G4 MDD, within less than a week. My 128 Rage should go on eBay. But probably not as a collectible item for 499.99 Euro :-P