Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > CD/DVD Authoring & Burning Software

Audio CDs not mounting in 9.2.2 from external drives

<< < (2/2)

IIO:
i havent answered the usb question because i dont know the answer.

it might be that it should work but there are enough other reaons to use IDE oder firewire. :)

btw, i just remember that mounting audio CDs automatically might also be somewhere in the prefs of quicktime. in OSX that option is ON by default - i am not sure about OS9.

ssp3:

--- Quote from: MagicFingers on November 21, 2019, 10:12:59 PM ---I was using Toast 5.2.3.

--- End quote ---
Wasn't there a conflict with Toast Audio CD Reader extension at some point?

MagicFingers:

--- Quote from: GaryN on November 21, 2019, 11:28:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: MagicFingers on November 21, 2019, 10:12:59 PM --- But the audio CDs don't mount anyway, and they usually kick back out of the player after a few seconds.

--- End quote ---
May be obvious, but I gotta ask to make sure:
1) If you launch iTunes or Apple CD Player first, does the CD still pop back out?
2) These are commercial pre-recorded audio CD's? Or are they home-burned? Both?

Thinking logically, you say everything is 100% fine in OSX. That is telling you that:
1) This is a soft communications / protocol problem… NOT hardware.
2) The pop-out after a few seconds MAY be because the OS is expecting a blank and instead is seeing the disc is locked/already burned.
   * I KNOW that's not the most helpful sentence you've ever read. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Lastly, since I'm thinking out loud, what I'm really thinking is that this is a silly wabbit hole anyway. 20 bucks will get you a replacement DVD drive on fleabay. Don't keep punishing yourself here!

Yes, 20 bucks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerBook-G4-Titanium-DVI-ComboDrive-DVD-Drive-8121A-A1001-800MHz-A1025-1GHz/323517885306?hash=item4b532b2b7a:g:g-0AAOSwQiRUoroa

15 bucks NEW !!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Apple-CD-RW-DVD-R-Slot-Load-SuperDrive-UJ-815-C-678-0437B-661-1804/401442727337?hash=item5d77d9e5a9:g:HioAAOSwH-daDKh3

FWIW: I have a Pioneer DVR-116D DVD-RW in my MDD and it's never given me a single issue. I'm just sayin'…

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Gary!  Yeah, still pops out after launching iTunes.  I don't have Apple CD Player but I do have Quicktime player.  They are commercial CDs, I haven't tried home-burned ones yet.  Yes, I expected it was mostly a software problem, and it's just that there doesn't seem to be any software to handle the hardware I'm trying to use.

Thanks for the links to the internal drives.  I will probably go that route.  I was surprised to find you can get new drives for that price.  My wife will love that.  She prefers that computer anyway as she uses it for AppleWorks and the older Cover Flow iTunes.

If I ever fix the glitch with the USB drive, I'll add it here.

MagicFingers:

I am also going to check out the other suggestions I got from IIO and ssp3.   Thanks to all!

MF

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version