Author Topic: OS 9.2.2 and a postscript printer  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
OS 9.2.2 and a postscript printer
« on: November 16, 2019, 04:39:18 AM »
hey community,

got a problem here that I'm stuck on. I do want to use my Kyocera FS-1370DN printer for printing in OS9.2.2. It's a postscript-compatible printer. I can confirm the printer to work fine in OSX. The printer connects to my PowerMac G4 via USB.

I did pick the LaserWriter 8 (for postscript printing) in the Chooser. However, upon printing in e.g. Apple Works the finder reports the following error immediately:

So how do I make OS9 recognize that there is a printer listening? printer doesn't show up in the list postscript printers but I'm not sure if I need to search for it elsewhere first.

Anyone able to help me out? Thanks in advance!
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: OS 9.2.2 and a postscript printer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
The specs for this printer suggest it requires 10.2.8.

However, they also say it supports Appletalk. So it is worth attempting with OS9.

Either way, improve your chances by connecting it to your network instead of USB.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
LaserWriter 8
is a generic PostScript printer driver for networks! So it will not work via USB. Attach the printer via Ethernet.

About the Kyocera FS-1370DN
I found the following text from Kyocera, inside the original "CD image 1.0"
https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.at/index/service_downloads/downloadcenter.false.driver.FS1370DN._.DE.html
(inside the document "readme" inside the folders "Mac OS X" -> "Drivers")

"Macintosh OS 9 is not officially supported for this product.  However,
for basic printing support, the generic PPD that is included with OS 9
can be used.  Typically, the generic PPD will automatically be selected
when installing a printer if a manufacturer's PPD is not provided."

So, what you need to do after attaching your printer via Ethernet is to open LaserWriter 8 and create a new printer. As every PostScript printer needs additionally an PPD file, you have to choose "generic PPD" that appeares in the list and is provided by Apple itselve, as Kyocera is not offering any specific PPD for the FS-1370.

By the way; this generic PPD works with a lot of Printers that are not officially supported! In fact most PostScript able printers should work with it (at least basic functions (of course no specific sorting, tray selection, stitching etc.)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 03:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mat's suggested solution worked fine. For the records: I've connected the printer via Ethernet, went to the Chooser and picked Laser Writer8. Choose generic as for the ppd and my printer would appear in the chooser and was ready to print.

Big thanks to Mat (as always! Hope you're doing fine! :) ).

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 03:11:46 AM »
I am happy that it worked immediatly. Would be interresting if you are missing any printer functinality that is not inside the PPD?
We should in general test all new PostScript printers with the generic PPD, and see if they are working well.
Also thanks for the kind words, by and large I am fine. ;)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
I've printed an old magazine ("MacSense") in DocMaker format and it printed fine, including all the graphics and margins. Pretty good for a "generic" PPD. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Kyocera FS-1370DN to everyone looking for a postscript compatible printer for OS9. They're selling around 100 euros here in Germany but are sturdy and reliable office-quality printers. Not to mention very cheap to print. The downside - it's b/w printing only ...