Author Topic: Digidesign MH477 PCI Expansion Chassis  (Read 9778 times)

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
Digidesign MH477 PCI Expansion Chassis
« on: October 24, 2019, 06:45:05 AM »
I've had one of these kicking about for years, but have only recently managed to get hold of a host card (SBS 21-100-2)
Only issue is that the Mac doesn't see the host card in the System Profiler, or the Chassis

There are a set of 5 jumper on the top of the card, I wondered if anyone knows how they should be set?

I take it there are no drivers/extensions associated with the use of the chassis?

Hoping that's all the issue is.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Digidesign MH477 PCI Expansion Chassis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »
right PCI should not require any driver.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:51:29 AM »
ATX PSU packed up minutes after posting the last post, so I'll start there, and see what's what.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »
Yes a 'flakey' power supply can cause some weird problems that are hard to track down.;D   

Last year I spent 2-3 days trying to solve a problem but then the power supply finally died completely... installed a fresh supply and all was well.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 03:04:58 AM »
I've got a digidesign 7 slot pci chassis. It's got a host card in the chassis. What about the computer side though. What pci cards are compatible? Are the cables just normal scsi?
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:11:21 AM »
It requires a Host card in the Mac (a bit of research led me to the SBS host cards, as the Digi MH477 is just a rebadged SBS chassis), and a suitable cable.
I had everything apart from the card for the Mac which I now have, but I don't have any manuals, so not sure if I need to move any jumpers on the host card or not.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 03:30:08 AM »
i´ve never tried - but often been told that only the 13 slot chassis will work as generic PCI expansion for OS9.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
not sure if I need to move any jumpers on the host card or not.

I have a few different chassis (Magma and SBS) and have never moved any jumpers... in fact I didn't even know that there were any jumpers that COULD be moved or have I ever heard any mention of jumper settings on a chassis or associated card!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:41 AM »
So I just took a look at my spare SBS host card (21-100-2) and I see that there are 2 rows of jumpers on there! On the top 3 jumpers labeled J2, J5, J6... pin 1 is open and pins 2 and three are jumped. On the bottom 2 jumpers labeled J3 and J4... pins 1 and 2 are jumped and pin 3 is open.

I'm pretty sure that I've tested this card and It functioned properly (wouldn't bet my life tho! :)).

Like I said, I've never heard mention of jumper settings on these cards for use in a ProTools environment, however...  if something can be moved there's someone out there that will move it!! Haha!

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 04:41:31 AM »
Thanks for those jumper settings.
Will compare to the settings on mine.