Author Topic: Business Idea  (Read 6189 times)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Business Idea
« on: September 27, 2019, 06:48:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I've mentioned this before but kind of have some addendums to this idea. You guys are going nuts getting this new OS9 working on unsupported systems. So effing cool. Blowing my mind. I follow it when I have time :)

I know a lot of folks in the PC world that clone old cards (MPU-401's and all sorts). Some brilliant guys just made a way for my Yamaha DOS machine to have a flash drive. People can make/clone/pre-fab these things easy these days.

What about making a breadbox (beautiful) NEW OS9 machine. Dream big here with me for a moment. A combination of vintage (only when needed - RAM, Video Cards etc) and modern parts. Vintage TDM cards, maybe even make the thing in the form factor of a rack mount expansion chassi.

If you guys made something that was a single system (maybe its a Mac mini) or maybe something totally custom....and could standardize this...bundle it with working abandon ware on the most ripping system known to man. New version of OS9, heck I bet you could even get Apple to sanction this or at least allow it. Has anyone asked them? I think they'd think it was cool, and it's certainly non-competitive!

This way all this work and focus could be on a single system. You could crowd source this effort, parse out equity in the project to the people here contributing. I think there is a business there. It's niche - but let's be honest, you guys are doing the work anyway!

Something for the elders here to ponder.
As usual, you're all blowing my mind.

Best,
_BT

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Business Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
I'm down to a single TDM Core card. I started getting 4 Macs together, all duplicates, to fill with TDM cards. They're all finished minus the TDM cards. I bought a pack of 7 of them one time but every one was a dud and I lost the $$$  :'(.

So if someone starts doing this, buying up the rest of the TDM supply, me filling out the rest of my systems with Cores and Farms will be much harder.

Maybe there's a supply of TDM cards out there waiting to be discovered?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
I started getting 4 Macs together, all duplicates, to fill with TDM cards.

I Started working on a TDM computer farm awhile back but got sidelined... Hoping to pick it back up this fall. ;D

Offline Hopfenholz

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:43:42 AM »
Love the idea, but can I ask the stupid question: what is a TDM card?

Offline mattyp

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 01:27:16 AM »
It's for protools DAW systems. Required for the full version of protools, not le.
Pro Tools Mix3, Digidesign Control|24, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha Motif XF6, Waldorf Blofeld KB, Novation K Station, Alesis Fusion 8HD, DSI Mopho KB, Korg Karma, Korg MS50, Korg MS20 mini, Akai EWI4000s.