Author Topic: question re: firewire enclosure powered via firewire (no psu required)  (Read 3078 times)

macStuff

does anyone know of a 2.5" drive that accepts firewire400 connection and also powers the drive via firewire? (no external power supply required?)

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
I have an iomega eGo 2.5" HDD which has both 400 and 800 connections. However, it can be picky about what drives it works with.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
I have quite a few drives: Verbatim, WD, LaCie, Iomega, Smartdisk and some no-name enclosures. All work without external power as they should do, since FW provides significantly more power through its ports than USB.

Probably the easiest to find are the orange LaCie Rugged drives. Apple sold plenty of these through its stores and they crop up fairly regularly on the used market. You can replace the drives in these quite easily if you are not too heavy handed.

macStuff

Re: question re: firewire enclosure powered via firewire (no psu required)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
BUS powered + daisy chainable with SSD's put inside would be great

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:04:29 AM »
Most buspowered FW drives have two ports so you can daisy chain at least two drives to one port on your Mac

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
The eGo I have has a 400 and 800 connector... Also worked as a 400/800 adapter in a pinch thanks to the daisy chain
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind