Author Topic: It's been a while... sold all my kit, but it's in the blood, enter iMac G4!  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
Because of moving house, my entire accumulation of classic Macs got sold, everything.  All I was left with was my current MBP.  Well, you know how it is... it's in the blood.  While browsing facebook marketplace I saw an ad for an iMac G4 for peanuts.  I've never owned one and though hey, this has to be a purchase!

So I got it home, cleaned it up, it boots fine, I erased (zeroed) the 80GB drive & installed 10.4.  I have since realised this is capable of natively running OS 9.  Now, I've got 4 OS 9 boot discs from this forum and it doesn't like any of them.

So, does anyone know the proper disc image to get this beast to boot into OS 9?  I've got 2GB RAM on the way but I seem to remember OS 9 will only recognise up to 1.5GB, is that still the case?  If so I'll just put 1GB in & leave it at 1.25GB.

Anyway, glad to be back with a classic, hope you guys are all well, glad it's all still going!

Here's an imgur gallery:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lmvVE5B
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
.  I have since realised this is capable of natively running OS 9.
No. It can't run Mac Os 9 natively.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
Yeah I got a bit excited there, damn it!  However, I have seen a lovely dual 1.25ghz MDD for sale locally for next to nothing.... I think that could be a purchase!
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
> I erased (zeroed) the 80GB drive & installed 10.4

Did you make sure to check "Install OS 9 drivers" when you did this?

Did you partition the Hard Drive with a separate volume for OS 9?

If the OS 9 drivers are installed on the Hard Drive, just drag an OS 9 System Folder
with a MODIFIED:  Mac OS ROM   file in it to the partition you prepared for it.

Make sure the System Folder is  "Blessed". One way that usually works is to run DiskWarrior on the Hard Drive.

All of the above is best accomplished by booting into an external FireWire drive.