Author Topic: UnInstaller (unwanted Apps)  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
UnInstaller (unwanted Apps)
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
I know Installer in Mac OS X has the option to Uninstall Some Software and Clean My Mac Has a uninstaller To remove an App aand it's related software. "But is there a Software like That on OS 9"? Sometime System Extentions Conflict. and I dont want to Hunt down Conflicting Software Tha I may not be using.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: UnInstaller (unwanted Apps)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »
Sometime System Extentions Conflict. and I dont want to Hunt down Conflicting Software Tha I may not be using.
Honestly, that sentence makes no sense. So, I'll guess that you're just concerned about Extension conflicts. That is a well-known and long-hated little pain in the butt gifted to Classic Mac OS users. Generally, it's not something you try to "prevent" because it's pretty much unpredictable. You just deal with it if and when it happens.

There are a few apps made specifically for finding and curing extension conflicts - the best and most well-known of which is "Conflict Catcher" available on Macintosh Garden.

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
No there is a Software The Shuts Off Extentions That you Want shut down. I used it in the 90s. But What I ame looking for is Something That Removes Software That You Don't want ( I loaded My Tascam Driver and Cubase LE, But Cubase didn't Work and Conflicted With Opcode Studio) After Install I remember Tascam Had a Flawed Version of Cubase. I tried to remove it But It came down to Me Having to Wipe the Whole HD  and reinstall Everything to be clear of it.  I found Spring Clean has an Uninstaller. I just Hope it will Work if I need it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
let me put it like this: an uninstaller of that type you know from OSX or windows is not needed in MacOS9.

the majority of OS9 apps are one executable or one folder with one executable in it, and to "deinstall" it, you move it to the trash.

regarding your extensions issue, you are worng when you think that turning off an extension will not prervent it from conflicting it with others. it will. the extensions controlpanel simply moves the driver from the the driver folder to a folder called "system extensions off" or similar, and things in this folder are not loaded. that is the idea behind it.

if you want to remove a driver from MacOS9, i know no faster way than doing it manually.

in the apple menu there should be a link to "control panels".

go there.

then click command-alt-arrowUP and you are in the root of the current system.

then type "s" to quickly find "System Extensions". open it.

type "t" to quickly find your tascam driver. select it.

type command-delete to move it to the trash.

takes 5 seconds. and you dont even need to know where your system is located or in which of you three you just booted.
works best if your system folder window is set to list view.

the best thing you can do when you are new to OS9 (or when you do looots of stuff in it) is to change the label color of everything apple installs by default into /system extensions and /controlpanels by default to green.

so now whenever some program installs a new file into /system extensions or /controlpanels - these are the two places where driver software always ends up in - you can easily find these new items by going for the files with no label color. in list view this can be a nobrainer, because you can have all new files on top. it could not be easier. :)

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
"Extensions Manager" comes with OS9 and makes it easy to enable or disable extensions. You can also create "sets" of extensions for different uses and call it up just before boot to select the set you want to use that day. This is more or less a leftover from earlier days of extremely limited RAM.

If I recall, you're using a Mini. That allows 1Gb of RAM so extension "management" really shouldn't be a big issue. If you still have only 256Mb installed, increasing that should be your first priority if you want a smooth running DAW.

"Spring Cleaning" does do uninstalling. That is after all, exactly what it was designed to do - clear out unneeded leftover junk files and such. I suggest that if you must use it, be very careful and set it to require you to verify everything it's deleting before it actually does. I can't imagine why you had to "wipe the whole HD" just to remove Cubase, but that's just me I guess…

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »

the best thing you can do when you are new to OS9 (or when you do looots of stuff in it) is to change the label color of everything apple installs by default into /system extensions and /controlpanels by default to green.

so now whenever some program installs a new file into /system extensions or /controlpanels - these are the two places where driver software always ends up in - you can easily find these new items by going for the files with no label color. in list view this can be a nobrainer, because you can have all new files on top. it could not be easier. :)
Or one can use application called 'Installer Observer'. I use it all the time when installing/deinstalling or testing stuff.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.