Author Topic: Akai S612 Sysex dumping for OS9?  (Read 462 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
Akai S612 Sysex dumping for OS9?
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:25:46 AM »
First question would be just see if anyone knows a good program that would work under OS9 to do this.

The second question would be insuring a solution would work with my MOTU setup for MIDI.   I have a Midi Time Piece AV and MIDI Express each over USB for midi and a 2408 mk2 for audio..  so i need to figure out how to send / receive sysex sds dumps from a particular dedicated out / in port from one of those devices. 

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Akai S612 Sysex dumping for OS9?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »
Didn't you just recently try to sort this out on the Forum? Nothing discussed there worked? D-sound Pro?

Offline part12studios

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:57:21 PM »
yea that's me.  i saw hardware sampler section and thought maybe it might catch new eyes.  So D-Sound installed but it's needing OMS so I'm going to have to figure that out.  The software seems so old that it doesn't recognize USB.. maybe OMS will fix that.  the software is talking printer ports and clock speeds which I get but my MIDI interfaces are USB and my quicksilver doesn't have any printer / serial ports on it so I'm not sure this software will do the trick.  I'm going to get OMS installed though and dig deeper..

I ran into this problem with my Peavey SP editor.  However IIRC, it too had an OMS version so maybe this is a vital part of the usb midi bridge for this kind of software. 

Offline part12studios

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:07:52 AM »
OK so I installed OMS and (to those who know I'm sure they are not surprised) it seems that OMS still only wants to talk to serial / printer ports, not USB.  Maybe there is a USB capable version that would see it?

Freemidi saw OMS installed and so did D-Sound but they still don't see the MIDIExpress and MTP AV. 

Offline GaryN

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
If you launch OMS Studio setup and search with both the modem and printer boxes UNchecked, it should find your interfaces.
That is assuming you have OMS 2.3.8 and you used the OMS installer which would have installed an OMS-USB driver in your System folder.

Alternatively, I seem to recall there's a way in Freemidi setup to emulate OMS. Since you're (I assume) using Freemidi with your MOTU interfaces, that would seem to be a better idea. If D-Sound is "asking" for OMS only, maybe it pre-dates Freemidi.

See if any of that helps.

Offline refinery

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
you need to install FreeMIDI 1.48, regardless of whether you are using OMS or FreeMIDI to communicate with it. The FM 1.48 installer will place USB MOTU drivers into your OMS folder as part of its installation. I just tested this to be sure and sure enough, it installs three drivers into the OMS folder: MOTU Device Database, MOTU OMS Driver, and MOTU USB OMS Driver.

MOTU still provides it on their website:
https://motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?product_id=16
G4/MDD 1.42 (9), G4/GB 500DP (X), Beige G3 400 (upgraded) (9), PBG4Ti 1Ghz (X), PBG3WS 300 (9)

got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline GaryN

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »
you need to install FreeMIDI 1.48, regardless of whether you are using OMS or FreeMIDI to communicate with it. The FM 1.48 installer will place USB MOTU drivers into your OMS folder as part of its installation. I just tested this to be sure and sure enough, it installs three drivers into the OMS folder: MOTU Device Database, MOTU OMS Driver, and MOTU USB OMS Driver.

MOTU still provides it on their website:
https://motu.com/download/download_matching_downloads.html?product_id=16

Yeah………That's the ticket……

Offline part12studios

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »
Fantastic, I'm going to dig into this and try it out now and see how far i get.  Glad to know it is in fact possible because it's seemed like everything i do points to non usb stuff. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:35:10 PM by part12studios »