Author Topic: Closing ThinkClassic  (Read 686 times)

Offline iMic

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
Closing ThinkClassic
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
Please excuse the somewhat out of place nature of this topic, but given our past collaboration with Mac OS 9 on unsupported hardware, I felt the community here should hear the news.

After careful consideration and exploring every possible alternative option, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to start winding down the ThinkClassic Vintage Mac discussion forums.

ThinkClassic served as both a friendly and welcoming community for vintage Apple enthusiasts, and as an incubator for vintage computer projects where members were encouraged to experiment and challenge the status quo. We created a website and discussion forum specifically written to be accessible and usable on computers running classic Mac OS (via Classilla), and played host to Mac OS related projects like developing modified drivers for the Sound Blaster Live! PC-compatible version sound cards and achieving the first successful boot and usable install of Mac OS 9 on an iBook G4, among others.

However over time, the community started to fade away. The moderation team dwindled to only myself, maintaining the website in my free time, and now the forums are mostly inactive. Apple-centric retro computing communities in general have experienced a bit of a downturn, and the small number of enthusiasts still interested in the vintage Apple scene isn't enough to sustain the number of separate websites and communities dedicated to them. I considered several options, from switching focus to all facets of retro computing (IBM, Atari, Commodore, Sinclair, etc), to a merger with or acquisition by established names in the scene like AppleFritter, LowEndMac or Macintosh Garden, but the discussions rarely went anywhere.

I've attempted to keep the forums alive for as long as possible in the hope that eventually another option would become available, but with less time and resources to dedicate to maintaining and growing the site on my own, it seems the time has come to seriously consider bidding farewell to ThinkClassic.

To MacOS9Lives, I'd like to thank this community for its support and interest in some of the little projects we worked on over the years. I've always considered this forum and its members to be our closest ally, and I'm especially proud of the efforts that the members here have made in advancing the development of Mac OS 9 compatibility on newer hardware ever since we started hex editing that Mac OS ROM five long years ago, back in May of 2014.

Of course the MacOS9Lives community is invited to mirror any information they may consider useful, and I'm working through restoring broken images and links in threads as I come across them. Some threads that may be of interest to members here:

And possibly some other notable threads, guides and tutorials, some of which are listed in the ThinkClassic Retrospective thread. If anyone comes across something they want archived, but has broken images or links, let me know and I'll see if I can fix them. (Or send a PM if I don't respond immediately; it should email me in case I forget to check.)

At the moment there's no fixed time frame for closing down the site, so take whatever time you need. We'll either come up with another option before then, or close it down when everyone's done.

Thanks,

~ iMic.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:11:02 PM by iMic »

Offline Greystash

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Re: Closing ThinkClassic
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
That's very sad news but understandable :( Thank you for the time and effort you've put into running ThinkClassic, and for the work you've done getting OS9 to run on unsupported systems. I certainly wouldn't be using OS9 the amount I do today if it wasn't for both ThinkClassic and MacOS9Lives.

Thanks for everything iMic, your time and effort has been greatly appreciated by many!!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 03:49:51 AM »
+1
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

Offline ELN

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »
This is a real shame, iMic. You ran a great forum, and did a great job hacking the NW ROM. Your brilliant exploratory posts really founded a new field of retro Mac hacking, which inspired me to start my own projects.

I hope that your site gets the dignified send off it deserves. If both sides agree, it should be archived over here after you stop accepting new posts. Maybe the posts could even be copied over to one of our boards?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:37 PM »
Thanks for all the work in ThinkClassic and for the achievements you left in the Mac "Classic" community.
I fully understand your feelings about ThinkClassic.The Mac Classic neiborhood is more scarce each passing day. :-X
Some of us -at some point- felt like "the last man on earth". Thanks to forums like ThinkClassic  we know that we are not alone, (but almost  ;D ;D ;D).
This MacOs9Lives forum isn't in good shape too.  :'(
Our past is full of stalled moments and we had have our own  "Game Of thrones"...
Most of the projects here are "only one men" projects, that share its works without even receive a thanks.  :-[
I know this isn't ThinkClassic. But I know for sure that we will do whatever is necessary to accommodate you and some of the valuable ThinkClassic users in case you wish to stay around here ...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:16:38 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Chimpur

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Another site shuffling off.. Its sad to see.. but.. I guess over time this is bound to happen as machines get scarcer, people get busier and time marches on. I'll miss reading post there; just like I miss the good times at ehMac and a few other places!