Author Topic: PowerMac G4 (AGP)  (Read 4603 times)

Offline MrPuffin

• Newcomer
PowerMac G4 (AGP)
« on: June 09, 2019, 05:52:21 PM »
Hello all i'm looking for a bit more info on what i need to look for to upgrade my AGP Powermac G4 @400Mhz 7400.
id like to get it to 1Ghz or Higher but can settle at 800Mhz or so

am i better off upgrading the CPU or just getting something like the MDD?
is there any compatibility issues when upgrading?
i use this system as a archive of OS's and occasional OS9 Games
it has 9.2, mac server 10.0, 10.0, 10.1 and 10.4 and would like to maintain compatibility with all the systems.

macStuff

Re: PowerMac G4 (AGP)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
i think you are much better off to stick to stock configurations ie : get a quicksilver or MDD;
unless u have a freebie Encore ST sitting on a shelf; price gaugers will charge 3 x the price of an MDD for it
if u have no pci-slot requirements; a mac mini g4 would be ideal;

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:29 AM »
very much in agreement with macstuff here; you're much better off just finding a used MDD. Right now, there's a dual 1.25 on craigslist where I live for $80, for example.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

macStuff

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 01:14:54 PM »
the best upgrade for my Sawtooth is having a bootable SATA pci controller + modern disk drive (sata2/3 spec drive or SSD)
booting it off one of these cards just speeds up everything so much; even with the lower cpu speed as long as u are using software from
the late 90s or early 2000s everything works great; its not going to handle stuff from 2004/2005 and onward but it is what it is and does what it does well; love the sawtooth machine; its a great machine for what it does; was a legendary mac tha put mac on the path into the future seriously; im glad to own one; ive always wanted to upgrade it; but im not going to go spend 200-300 bucks buying a jacked up price cpu upgrade by price gaugers on ebay to do it. i know from experience how buggy + how much of a nightmare some cpu upgrades can be.

Offline MrPuffin

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »
ive always wanted to upgrade it; but im not going to go spend 200-300 bucks buying a jacked up price cpu upgrade by price gaugers on ebay to do it. i know from experience how buggy + how much of a nightmare some cpu upgrades can be.

This is My exact feelings for mine. wasnt sure if there were cheaper alternatives to upgrade my good old Mac. but sometimes i take on challenges just for the experience of doing it.
in this case i will probably pass

would be nice to know its the same mac i had as a kid with More upgrades but i guess for things that need more power.
albeit no OS 9 i have my 15" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz with 2GB or my iBook G3 w/32mb video @ 800Mhz with OS9 /10.4.11

looked in my area for some older G4 Towers seems there are a few spread out but they vary from $50 for models i dont want all the way up to $250 for people seeing theirs as treasure
but there is a mini G4 for $50 just unsure of specs or even  if it has power cord