Author Topic: Can I Dual boot Mac mini G4 OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline NigelNowhere

• Valued Member
Can I Dual boot Mac mini G4 OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9?
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
I have a a 1.25 ghz Mac Mini G4 with 1gb ram arriving tomorrow. It has 10.4 as a clean I stall on what I believe to be a 100gb HD. I am wondering if I need to partition the drive and have an install of os 9 alone on its own partition or if I should leave the drive as is and install Mac OS 9 alongside OS X. It seems that back in the public beta days of OS X i had a joint install on my G4 tower. However I can’t remember if I partitioned the drive or not. Also if I do partition the drive, could I have classic boot the Os 9 install from the second partition? I would think that would work pretty easily. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Can I Dual boot Mac mini G4 OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »
I think the easiest is to partition it on Mac OS 9 with other machine using Target Disk Mode via firewire cable. In that way you are sure it contains the Partition blessed/It has Mac os 9 disk drivers. But honestly I am an ignorant about the new methods to install it on a Mini.

I talk from my experience installing a GHz 17" Powerbook

Added later
Leopard doesnt have the option to OS9 drivers

Tiger and Panther had it also so you could partition from a Mac OS 9 to Tiger machine in Apple Partition Map With Mac OS 9 disk drivers
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:48:24 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4