Author Topic: Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI (Promise chipset - PDC20269)  (Read 15710 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI (Promise chipset - PDC20269)
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
I don't know how much he can help us or what maybe covered under an NDA he is bound too.

if only the rest of the world would care about his copyrights.

FrmTk wrote the FCODE ROM for Sonnet and I'm sure they didn't want people flashing PC Cards to Mac

pardon me if i am leaving the topic (no interest in raid mode here), but this thread makes me think about the sonnet ATA 133 card as an alternative to their SATA 150 card, which is almost impossible to find.

does anyone know if you can still buy them second hand somewhere for an appropiate price, what the current situation at the leftover of firmtek is about them (i.e. can you still contact them like you can for the SATA products?) - and did anyone successfully used this specific card in conjunction with our cheap green SATA adapters?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
I don't know how much he can help us or what maybe covered under an NDA he is bound too.

if only the rest of the world would care about his copyrights.

FrmTk wrote the FCODE ROM for Sonnet and I'm sure they didn't want people flashing PC Cards to Mac

pardon me if i am leaving the topic (no interest in raid mode here), but this thread makes me think about the sonnet ATA 133 card as an alternative to their SATA 150 card, which is almost impossible to find.

does anyone know if you can still buy them second hand somewhere for an appropiate price, what the current situation at the leftover of firmtek is about them (i.e. can you still contact them like you can for the SATA products?) - and did anyone successfully used this specific card in conjunction with our cheap green SATA adapters?

You can just flash you own SIL3221 card, easy peasy. It's the Sonnet ATA cards that are rare and expensive to come by. The SATA cards do not support ATAPI with the Mac firmware or drivers, the ATA cards do, tho the performance leaves a lot to be desired of connected ATAPI devices. Something I plan on working on.

I'm using a cheap, no brand ATA>SATA connector on the PDC20269 and PDC20270 and they work well with HD's, had not tried with ATAPI( SATA ) yet.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2022, 04:49:42 PM »
You can just flash you own SIL3221 card, easy peasy.

one might think that when someone is a philosopher, application programmer and inventor he should also be able to "flash a card".

but let me tell you that i have no idea where to buy such a card and how to flash it.^^

my currently only half-working sonnet card gives me headache, after even (s)ataman could not help me to fix it or find the cause, i have given up and removed it and atm i use the internals SSDs at the quicksilver´s IDE (100) bus. (at the cost of  the two small IDE drives, which isnt a real problem)

my dream setup would be a solution around a seritek 1v4. but even if seritek would answer emails and deliver me a second hand one: i am in europe and i would like to buy a second one as replacement part (for the next 20 years of professional OS9 use) and t wo cards wioth oversea shipping is almost a bit above my budget for that kind of stuff.

(...u think using that ATA card with adapters will be much slower? my SATA HDs once gave me 110mb/s via PCI and 92 via cheap adapter at the ATA 100...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:11:49 PM by IIO »

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 04:22:48 AM »
one might think that when someone is a philosopher, application programmer and inventor he should also be able to "flash a card".

but let me tell you that i have no idea where to buy such a card and how to flash it.^^

Sorry for the french link but this guy tests everything  ::)
including flashing SATA PC cards to use in a Mac  ;)

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2015/04/27/du-sata-et-un-ssd-dans-un-power-mac-g3-ou-g4-bis/

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »
so you need to do it on a PC, that is what i thought. i recently noticed that i do have one around. ;)
sry for offtopic, i am quiet now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:43:14 PM by IIO »

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 11:24:15 PM »
did anyone succeed in getting one of the PC versions of these cards to mac?
i remember hearing about people who did it way back in the day...

i was hoping SATAMAN was going to release firmware to just flash it and make it work but he dissappeared

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
did anyone succeed in getting one of the PC versions of these cards to mac?
i remember hearing about people who did it way back in the day...

i was hoping SATAMAN was going to release firmware to just flash it and make it work but he dissappeared

Well Joe VT and I were able to make a 16k ROM that could load the full ROM from the Open Firmware command line to get the PC Cards working.

The issue is with the Sonnet flasher it will only write 16k to the eeprom.

I think SATAMAN has a better Sonnet flasher that can flash the full eprom, but he is having login issues here. He's been posting over at MacRumors.

He said he's busy with other stuff right now, but he will get back to these cards, so hopefully we can get these Promise cards sorted........