Author Topic: Wifi options for G3 iMac  (Read 3845 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Wifi options for G3 iMac
« on: May 24, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
So I have a friend asking about this to me.  He was asking if I had a wifi usb adapter solution.  I do not.  i have never done much wifi with my OS9 system..   

on a side note though, I did buy an airport card for my G4 and it sees my wifi access point, but cannot connect even though i type the password in. 

So my concern is double sided.  I imagine there are wifi devices he could get, but then he might just run into the same problem I have where i have wifi and it works, but due to aged (assumption) wifi protocols new WAPs will refuse connection because it's using WIFI A or B maybe?  not sure what my PCMCIA Airport card transmits with.  I assume it was pre-G.. and certainly before N. 

Thanks,
Caleb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:11:06 AM by part12studios »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Wifi options for G3 iMac
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
We have many solutions discussed in detail here (even some that "WiFi" the ethernet) ... just search :)
For a Mac OS 9 computer a good alternative could be a wireless Ethernet bridge (also known as a gaming or media adapter) connected to the Ethernet port of the computer. There are devices from several manufacturers (examples include Linksys WET610N and Netgear WNCE2001). Since special driver software is not (normally) needed, a wireless Ethernet bridge can be used with old computers under almost any operating system. A new wireless Ethernet bridge would support modern wireless security standards

Here are some topics that come to mind:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1221.msg22492.html#msg22492

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2490.msg14323.html#msg14323

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
yea i tried searching and oddly enough it seemed like none of the search results that came up ever had wifi as part of the subject.. so it seemed like a new thread was in order.  However I figured as much.  This has happened to me in the past.  My keyword choices must be too broad I guess, like "wifi"

I will dig into it. 

Thanks,
Caleb

macStuff

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »
hit the computer store; buy a wireless adapter that supports AC + provides an ethernet port, plug the ethernet port into your os9 computer; boom! your done

dont waste anymore time or energy on the subject. any wifi that doesnt support AC is not worth your time these days the speed sucks compared to AC, AC has been the norm since about mid-2013;

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
yea those ethernet adapters look good.  the ones that are independent.. just ethernet port into them..   Thanks for the links.  There are some newer ones it looks like.

Anything else I would imagine could get tricky with lack of driver support.  Yea I'll see what best buy might carry. 

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »
thats the thing; there is no driver needed; so its 100% supported because the hardware does the wifi and the connection is a normal ethernet connection
no driver involved at all

tp link, d-link, netgear, linksys
different companies call them different things
wireless bridge; extender; access point
https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=27_1056

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 04:32:09 AM »
brilliant!  I'm so glad something like this still exists and not aging hardware that itself may not work with modern wifi..